Thursday, June 08, 2006


Sunset over Molokai.


Living in Southern California, getting anywhere by car is a nightmare. What saves my sanity is listening to recorded books from Audible.com. Right now I'm listening to "A Short History of Nearly Everything" by Bill Bryson. I had no idea the history of astronomy, atomic science and geology could be so interesting. A few months ago I listened to the audio version of Bryson's "A Walk in a Sunburned Country" about his travels in Australia, and found it laugh out loud funny.

Many years ago I read "In Cold Blood" by Truman Capote, and recently watching the film "Capote" re-piqued my interest. This time I went with the audio version, and was reminded what a beautifully written book it is. Despite the caricature that Capote became, he was an incredibly talented writer. Next up in paperback, the biography of Capote upon which the film was based. I think it will be perfect book to take with me to New York City in a couple of weeks.

Finally, I have recently become a fan of the author Adrian McKinty, again via audio books. His "Dead I May Well Be" and "Hidden River" are both fantastic reads/listens. Next up for me on audio is his latest, "The Dead Yard". His books combine a sort of hard-boiled crime/detective genre with dry Irish wit. A great combination.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

These pictures are beautiful! I cant wait to Nic there!

6:59 PM  
Blogger LA said...

I read the Bryson book. I really like him!

1:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home