Monday, July 31, 2006


Sure, the Sopranos and Sex and the City are great shows, but my favorite HBO series are Deadwood and the Wire. Forget the sanitized wild west of Gunsmoke - with Deadwood you can almost smell the dirt through the tv. The writing and acting are superb, and Ian McShane has the best lines on tv today. The series combines real historical figures such as Wild Bill Hickok, Calamity Jane, George Hearst, Wyatt Earp, Al Swearingen, Seth Bullock and Sol Star with great drama about the development of the west, and the birth of a mining town.

6 Comments:

Blogger heidianne said...

just found you from bean's blog. i look forward to reading more from you!

8:41 AM  
Blogger Diane said...

heidianne - thanks for stopping by!

9:40 AM  
Blogger Ryan said...

Diane, I couldn't agree with you more. Deadwood is my favorite show on television hands down. I am so upset that there will not be another full season, but I am glad that HBO gave them the green light to film two, two hour "movies" to finish the series. This is the most smartly written show. My favorite comedy is also on HBO, Curb Your Enthusiasm. I really hope that comes back for another season. Both shows are Perfection.

12:45 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

Ryandxc - if you haven't before, check out The Wire too when it comes back out on HBO - they have some great writers involved like George Pelecanos, who is one of my favorites.

1:48 PM  
Blogger Ryan said...

Diane-

I have to admit that I am too cheap to pay for HBO. I usually wait till the series are on DVD. I will be watching a friends house this weekend, and they have HBO on demand. I will stay in and watch the season 3 episodes. Everyone wants to talk and discuss the show, but yet i have a real hard time paying for extra cable when regular is out of control.

1:04 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

Ryan - I totally understand - alot of my friends do the same thing - I pretty much get HBO just to watch the Sunday night series. I also seriously suggest that you rent the first 2 seasons of the Wire on DVD too - definitely worth it. And I can't wait to hear what you think about Season 3!

1:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home