Tuesday, August 08, 2006


I left early from work for a dentist appointment, and stopped by Borders Books on the way there. It seemed that every where I looked, there was a new book by an author I like, and I went a little crazy . . . but now I have plenty of good books to keep me busy for the next couple of months. Now available on my book shelves:

"A Walk in the Woods" by Bill Bryson. I really, really enjoyed "In a Sunburned Country" and "A Short History of Nearly Everything."

"The Night Gardener" by George Pelecanos. Pelecanos' gritty crime dramas set in Baltimore never disappoint. He also is one of the screen writers for HBO's the Wire - one of my favorite shows (Season 3 starts in mid-September).

"End in Tears" by Ruth Rendell. I discovered Rendell last year and really enjoy her Inspector Wexford mysteries.

"Goodnight Nobody" by Jennifer Weiner, the author of "Good in Bed", which I liked alot.

"Happiness Sold Seperately" by Lolly Winston the author of "Good Grief", one of the only selections by the book club that I actually enjoyed.

Ok, ok, but even 5 books is cheaper than a new pair of shoes, and I can pass them along and share them with others.

2 Comments:

Blogger LA said...

I've never read Jennifer Weiner, but I hear she's a good "chick lit" author (a genre I usually avoid). I love Bill Bryson, I've got "I'm A Stranger Here Myself" if you want to read it. Did you buy "Happiness Sold Separately" because of the lovely aran sweater sleeve?

Ffleur - Start a book swap!

11:20 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

Ffleur - la is right - let me know which books you'd like to read and I'd be happy to mail them to you!

la - I usually avoid chick lit too, but I liked "Good in Bed". The main character was likeable, rather than annoying. I pretty much stopped going to book club after we read Bergdorf Blonds - I only finished it to see if maybe all the major characters would die in a horrible car crash . . . did I mention that I hated that book?

7:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home