Monday, October 30, 2006



Be careful what you ask for . . .

I grew up a sports fan. My grandfather had season seats for the Angels, my family had season seats for the Rams while they were in Anaheim, and I had season seats for the LA Kings for about 10 years. So growing up, a big part of my life was watching sports, and when I was in my late 20s and early 30s, a big part of my social life revolved around sports. It was pretty common to attend a Kings game on Saturday night, and a Rams game Sunday afternoon. On one such occasion, my friends and I were hanging out in the Forum Club during and after a Kings game, and I met this really, really handsome guy. He was up from San Diego to see the Niners play the Rams the following afternoon. The Niners/Rams game was always the biggest game of the year. Even during the years when the Niners were the dominant team in the NFL, the Rams always played them tough. I was excited at the prospect of seeing him again the next day. He said he would be at a sports bar near the Stadium, where we used to meet up with friends before the game - our version of tail gating.

Of course, I was happy to see him the next day, and after talking to him for a bit, he asked me if I would come with him to his car. Hey, it was close by, it was light out . . . why not? Why you may ask, did he want me to come to his car? Was it to drink? Get stoned? Make out? None of the above? If you picked the latter, you win the prize. We walked down the street to his car, where he pulled out . . . red and gold make up and a red velvet and gold trimmed cape. Yes, I was hanging out with "Niner Man" and he needed help with his make-up for the game. He travelled to all Niner games - home and away - and ran around the stadium, cape a-flying.

While I was a bit disappointed, I felt like I did a pretty good job with the make up on his face and chest, but pretty much walked behind him as we walked back to the bar. To be honest, it was hard to walk next to him and not get slapped by the cape.

I am still a very big sports fan, but now I get my thrills more frequently from football pools than actually attending the games. . . and with the Rams in St. Louis, I now cheer for the SD Chargers. A friend and I attended the Chargers/Niners game a few years ago, but I didn 't spot Niner man this time . . .

7 Comments:

Blogger THN said...

You should have wrote something like "Gay" on his back or something. I would have kicked him in his groin and made my way. Great story.

I used to go to the National every Sunday, watch the morning games and then try to sneak into Anaheim Stadium. In 1992 or 93 (not the last year), this guy dropped off tickets at the National who, of course, tried to sell them. My pal and I hung around long enough that these tickets for sale eventually were given away. We sat next to the guy at the game and he wanted to make sure that the tickets were given away. I told him that the National was trying to sell them, which kind of pissed him off. So he says, if you guys are there next week, I'll find you and give you the extras. We were there next week, got the tickets and went to the game. He said, if we were there for the next home game, he would just give us the rest of the season tickets. We went and got free season tickets for a year. Kind of crappy, underneath the terrace level (around Aisle 9), but free season tickets are cool.

10:35 AM  
Blogger D.O.M. Dan said...

That is a great story. I was a season ticket holder the last two years the Rams were in Anaheim, and the 49er games were always the most attended. I don't remember seeing "Niner Man", but then I wouldn't have been looking for him either.

11:58 AM  
Blogger M-M-M-Mishy said...

What is this "football" you speak of?

12:14 PM  
Blogger v said...

lol@Mish

You could've made out with Niner Man?!?!?!?

Anyway, speaking of pools, who do you got in the Colts/Pats game?

5:59 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

adam - we were usually at the Catch . . . hey, free tickets, are free tickets - - Nice!

Dan - when did you go to the "dark" side . . . and start rooting for Da Raiders? 2 - 0 the last 2 weeks - my Raider fan brother is beside himself he picked against them in last week's pool

mishy - sort of like the CFL!

v - hard choice . . . but I might have to go with the Pats

6:37 PM  
Blogger D.O.M. Dan said...

Diane - I've always been a little on the "dark" side. A long-time close friend of mine is a huge Raiders fan, and we've watched many a game together. I explained my reasons for not remaining a Rams fan in my post back in August.

8:09 AM  
Blogger THN said...

Dom, I read and commented on your post. But please, don't ever refer to that team playing in St. Louis as the "Rams." Thanks.

12:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home