Thursday, October 12, 2006



I'd rather be RED . . . I know people tire of Bono being everywhere, doing everything, and making the rest of us lazy bastards look bad, but I admire him.

"Talk show host Oprah Winfrey and humanitarian rocker Bono hit the city's "Magnificent Mile" on Thursday for a shopping spree to promote a new line of clothing, accessories and gadgets, including a special-edition iPod, that will raise money to fight AIDS in Africa.
Dozens of "(Product) Red" items will go on sale in the coming weeks by Gap Inc., Apple Computer Inc., Motorola Inc., Converse Inc. and Emporio Armani. Portions of the product sales will go to The Global Fund, an organization that fights AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria.

"'Some people won't put on marching boots, so we've got to get to people where they are at, and they're in the shopping malls," Bono said in a phone interview. 'Now you're buying jeans and T-shirts, and you're paying for 10 women in Africa to get medication for their children with HIV."
The Gap, which will debut its Red line in stores on Friday, will donate half the profits to The Global Fund.

"Apple will contribute $10 from the sale of each new red-colored iPod nano. The model, priced the same as its $199 cousins, goes on sale Friday."

Shopping for a good cause? Count me in.

6 Comments:

Blogger M-M-M-Mishy said...

I like what Bono is trying to do, and he's working for causes that I totally support, but sometimes I find him soooo exhausting. Its like he takes a lot of effort just to hear what he's doing now. He's like some sort of energizer bunny-man.

But I do like a good cause.

8:43 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

mishy - totally agree - he does seem to be on a different continent every day . . .

8:56 PM  
Blogger v said...

Yeah, way to go Bono, again. Anyway, this is the first I've heard of this "Product Red" campaign. But it sounds like a spectacular idea. Let people give to charity through shopping. What a great idea. More power to it.

7:30 PM  
Blogger prettykitty said...

very cool idea. and how can you go wrong with a red iPod? that's hot!

1:18 AM  
Blogger LA said...

Oh, I prefer Bono to Oprah any day of the week. And Chicago's Miracle Mile is great fun. I love that city, it's one of the friendliest in the US, has fantastic culture and architecture, not to mention great public transportation. What's not to like, other than the extreme weather in the summer and winters. (Chicago is very high on my short list if I decide to leave Calif.)

1:11 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

la - I've only been to O'Hare, but would love to actually visit Chicago . . .

3:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home