Wednesday, October 25, 2006


Variety is the spice of life . . . .

I'm going with friends Friday night to see Wynton Marsalis at the new Segerstrom Concert Hall, which is part of the OC Performing Arts Center. They describe the show as - "Wynton Marsalis is an icon of the jazz world. As a musician, band leader, composer, educator and advocate, he has furthered the art of jazz through sheer commitment and unmatched creativity as well as immense talent. The eight-time Grammy winner is joined by a stellar group of colleagues for a not-to-be-missed evening of swinging music."

I've never seen Marsalis play, but have heard great things about him. I've always liked jazz because when I was a kid, my folks would take us to a pizza parlor that also had live jazz music one night a week. The folks would drink a pitcher or two of beer, and my brother and I would drink "suicides" - a mixture of coke, 7-up, root beer and dr. pepper or orange . . . . They were called suicides because if you drank more than 2 of them, you were likely to get a horrible belly ache . . .

7 Comments:

Blogger v said...

I'm jealous again. More jealous. Something like that.

Anyway, have a wonderful time and make sure to blog about it.

And I remember "suicides" as well. We had a silly name for them too, but I've forgotten it. Man, I'm old. Good times though. Good times.

11:27 PM  
Blogger M-M-M-Mishy said...

Ooohh... Let us know how it was.

And we would call suicides "swamp water" or "swamp juice". Man, they started off really good and then morphed into the most vile stuff ever. Left you with gut rot.

11:03 AM  
Blogger D.O.M. Dan said...

Sounds like fun - have a good time. FYI - The Jazz Kitchen at Downtown Disney is a good spot to see live jazz.

I didn't care for the 'suicide' as a kid; I was partial to root beer. (As an adult I dropped the root and am still partial to beer). My 13-year-old loves suicides.

12:31 PM  
Blogger LA said...

Sounds like it's gonna be a good gig.

I was a Shirley Temple girl myself.

2:18 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

don - I prefer that sort of beer these days myself, and I'll have to check out the Jazz Kitchen, thanks!

Funny all the names for one sickly sweet drink!

4:49 PM  
Blogger kookla@work said...

Diane, Wynton is a great choice to see at the OC Performing Arts Center! Nice gig, great venue.

Haven't you moved on to Kamikazes by now?

5:55 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

kookla - oh my - kamikazes are on the same list as tequila shots . . . too many over too many bad nights . . . :-)

9:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home