Monday, November 20, 2006



In case you needed even more proof that God hates the Raiders . . .

A state court of appeals has overturned a jury verdict of $34.2 million dollars in favor of the Raiders. The jury had found that the City of Oakland (and others) were negligent in informing the Raiders that the 1995 season was sold out, and that 80 percent of seats for the following season had already been sold, leading to the Raiders entering into a new stadium contract to bring them back to Oakland. The jury rejected the Raiders' $800 million fraud claim. However, the court of appeal found that the Raiders waived any damages arising from the initial agreement when they re-negotiated the contract in 1996, relying on a case precedent decided in 1897.

Justice Rodney Davis disagreed with the other two court of appeal justices, saying: "I am perplexed as to why the the majority feels the need to craft a waiver rule that benefits the alleged defrauder at the expense of the defrauded."

The answer of course is karma. Oh, and the other justices are likely Niners fans.

8 Comments:

Blogger sage said...

God's in pretty good company! (I say this quickly and duck and run)

8:21 AM  
Blogger M-M-M-Mishy said...

When it comes to football, I usually just root for the team I'm told to root for. So in this case, I'm NOT rooting for the Raiders. I leave these things up to more informed people.

11:17 AM  
Blogger Diane said...

mishy - good move! no one but a few crazies (and my brother) root for da Raiders!

sage - I think we are safe since few Raider fans are computer literate :-)

11:20 AM  
Blogger v said...

I'm no fan of the Raiders either. And I thought their season was proof enough.

Now, if only the Lawd Almity would answer my prayers and let the Bills into the playoffs. ;(

12:05 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

v - I once went on a blind date with a Bills fan who became so disgusted with the team, that he packed up all his Bills' gear and mailed it back to the team . . .

12:18 PM  
Blogger THN said...

Awesome. I need to use this for my Raiders AOL Column.

12:45 PM  
Blogger sage said...

aw, the Bills--I was in Western New York in the early 90s when they were hot--even went to a game there at night and it was cold, but fun.

3:26 PM  
Blogger v said...

Lol, Diane.

And, Sage, they were hot, but couldn't win the big one. Unfortunately.

1:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home