Tuesday, November 28, 2006



Okay, so I think I have identified this bird that I spotted at Bolsa Chica last Friday as an American Kestrel, both by its appearance, and because I watched it hovering over the field as it hunted for prey after it left its perch on this fence.

Its habitat is described as: "Borders of woodlands, farmlands, open fields, pastures with scattered trees, marshes, suburban areas, grasslands, arid plains, deserts with giant cacti, wooded canyons, forest openings. Often seen perched on wires along roads in rural areas. Hunts on the wing, often hovering. Often pumps tail up and down upon landing. Smallest falcon. Common."

Common to whom? It's my best bird watching moment to date, though I was proud of myself for distinguishing between a Great Egret and a Snowy Egret.

2 Comments:

Blogger M-M-M-Mishy said...

I'm impressed! My bird identifications skills are limited to blue jays, robins and pigeons. If ever you're not sure about one of those, just ask me. I'll help you out, Diane. :)

7:05 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

Thanks, mishy - you're the best! :-)

8:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home