Tuesday, December 12, 2006


DIANE'S RESOLUTIONS/GOALS FOR 2007, NUMBER 14:

Knit for charity.

A couple of years ago, I knit a baby blanket and donated it to a local chapter of Binky Patrol - a group that gathers knitted or crocheted baby blankets and distributes them to needy and sick children. There are many such groups across the country, and I think it is a worthwhile cause. As an avid knitter, I know the time and energy that goes into a knitted blanket, and I think this makes it different than a blanket bought at the store. For lack of a better way to say it, I think it carries with it love and positive energy that makes it more comforting to sick or lonely children. Maybe that is delusional, but I plan to try my theory out again in 2007.

8 Comments:

Blogger LA said...

Good goal. One of the women in the group (rock star mom) has a "shawl ministry" (secular) that does nice work, too. They give shawls to people who are grieving or have sick loved ones. Not as big as a blanket but bigger than a hat, so totally doable.

12:55 PM  
Blogger Prunella Jones said...

I still have a tiny sweater my grandma knitted for me when I was a kid. I think something handmade is more appreciated.

2:25 PM  
Blogger EditThis said...

I've never heard of that, but it's a great idea for a charity. So many people I know knit just to keep their hands busy and aren't necessarily making things for anyone. I think I'll recommend it to them. Good luck in your endeavor.

5:16 AM  
Blogger sage said...

How do we become charity? and do we get to pick colors?

Seriously, it is a good idea.

7:30 AM  
Blogger M-M-M-Mishy said...

I know that many hospitals have programs where they take in handmade baby blankets and knitted baby caps and booties as donations. I've heard that hospitals put take them for preemies because sizing can be an issue and babies where the parents may not have enough money for quality items.

You are very civic minded, Diane. Good for you!

8:15 AM  
Blogger PixieGaf said...

What a great charity!

9:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with Prunella Jones. My grandmother knitted me a blanket and the only time it leaves my bed is when it's going in the laundry.

11:31 AM  
Blogger LA said...

Good for you guys who appreciate your hand-knitted gifts! As someone who does the knitting, there's nothing that warms my heart more than recipients like you.

2:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home