Thursday, December 21, 2006



I have recently finished two books - both audible - -

The first is Charlie Wilson’s War, the story of how a scandal plagued Texas Congressman ( democrat by the way) and a rogue CIA agent conspired to launch the largest covert operation in history, by which they funneled billions of dollars to support the Afghan "freedom fighters" in their war with the USSR, giving the USSR its own unwinnable Vietnam. Of course, it also lead to the rise of militant Islam, and funded the very terrorists we are battling today. The book is fascinating and truly frightening. I was reminded of how little we know about what our government is actually doing both at home and around the world. As little as 9 years before 9/11, we were sending 100s of millions of dollars to these terrorists. It wasn't until the Clinton presidency that the money train stopped rolling into Kabul.

"After killing the red-haired man, I took myself off to Quinn's for an oyster supper..." So begins
The Meaning of Night. I found the premise of this book especially interesting - an editor has supposedly been given a diary/confession written in the 1850's, and has published it, with a minimum of comment. What comes thereafter is a tale of ultimate betrayal. The narrator has been robbed of an education, inheritance, title and true love by his enemy, Phoebus Daunt, but ultimately gets his revenge, albeit at a terrible price.

Now playing in my car and on my iPod are The Johnstown Flood by David McCullogh and Capital Crimes by Jonathan and Faye Kellerman.

4 Comments:

Blogger sage said...

I listened to the Johnstown Flood a few months ago and it was great (I got the book out of the library so I could save quotes). It was a great read/listen. I'm currently listenting to "In the Heart of the Sea: The Tragedy of the Whaling Ship Essex, which I'll probably finish in the gym tomorrow. It was a good follow up to Moby Dick (but might should have been listened to before Moby Dick).

4:50 PM  
Blogger EditThis said...

I love reading books, but to be honest, I just can't do audible books. I think I like to hold them in my hands. I don't seem to enjoy them at all listening to someone ELSE read them to me. I could get through so many more books if I could use my commute time doing that instead of just listening to music.

8:32 PM  
Blogger prettykitty said...

me no much books read. haha

7:09 AM  
Blogger Diane said...

edit - if you can get used to the books on tape, it is a great way to incorporate "reading" into your commute

7:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home