Wednesday, December 27, 2006



In remembrance of President Gerald Ford

In 1976, while he was running for re-election, Ford was scheduled to make an appearance at Mile Square Park in Orange County. My parents knew alot of local politicians, and I was volunteered, along with a bunch of other teenagers, to set up the platform and pass out flyers noting the appearance.

A platform with seating and a microphone was set up, and we decorated it with pretty cornball decorations - a lot of red, white and blue streamers. I managed to piss off the secret service by going back on the platform to touch up after it had already passed the safety inspection, but since 15 year old white girls aren't on many profile lists of suspected assassins, he let me go with a warning.

Our reward for the work was to get a front row place as Ford walked by, accompanied by John Wayne, who introduced Ford to the crowd. I don't remember what Ford said - the speech was pretty short - but I can say that he was the last Republican I supported.

4 Comments:

Blogger sage said...

wow! Ford is the last Republican I've voted for too--I was thinking about making a post about that--it was also my first election

8:18 AM  
Blogger EditThis said...

That's a cool story. I can proudly say I've never voted for a republican...not since that mock election in 1984 in Junior high when I "voted" for Ronald Reagan because he was an actor and therefore "cool." By the time I could legally vote, I had learned better.

8:13 PM  
Blogger M-M-M-Mishy said...

Wow. 93 year old. He had a good run of it.

8:22 PM  
Blogger GetFlix said...

I miss him.

8:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home