Monday, January 01, 2007



Happy New Year!!!! My New Year's Resolutions for 2007, in no particular order:

  1. Floss every day
  2. Create and live within a reasonable budget
  3. Run a 5k and a 10k
  4. Improve my Spanish
  5. Travel somewhere new (I hope to go on a walking tour of the Berkshires in the fall)
  6. Start work on a novel
  7. Visit NYC (I may be able to combine 6 and 7 by attending a Mystery Writing workshop in NYC)
  8. Clean out and organize my closets
  9. Paint/decorate my bedroom (this one is already moving forward - my brother is helping me paint my bedroom - the winning color was "Green Tea")
  10. Organize my record keeping
  11. Use up (at least some of) my yarn stash (before I started the Parrot on Acid/Deadhead sweater, I did start a sweater from my "stash")
  12. Learn to play a musical instrument (my friend Mike is going to re-string my guitar)
  13. Apply to grad school to get a Masters Degree in Library Science (I have a not so secret wish to become a librarian).
  14. Knit for charity
  15. Lose (and keep off) 10 lbs., and exercise regularly (I'm starting Nutrisystem tomorrow)
  16. Plant my side yard with native vegetation and get it certified as a Backyard Habitat by the National Wildlife Federation

Other things on my ever expanding to do list include:

Work on my obsessive compulsive need to make lists

Read the Bible (I have a "One Year Bible" that breaks up the Old and New Testaments, Psalms and Proverbs into 365 daily readings - I bought this as a to do for 1999 - you know, just in case the world really was going to end at Y2K I figured it wouldn't hurt to get a leg up, and have yet to get past February . . .)

Read/listen to 75 books - I made my goal of 72 books last year - actually read/listened to 75 books - and hope to do this again

Do yoga

Expand my business sources and relationships (I did make some headway on this in December . . .)

Organize my photographs

Learn more about how to best invest my savings

Learn sign language

Become more knowledgeable on environmental issues

Volunteer my time

Teach Nanners to not get dishes out of the sink and off the counter

11 Comments:

Blogger sage said...

Okay, I need to go take a nap after reading your list...

Your desire to hike the Berkshires got me thinking of James Taylor: "The Berkshires seemed dreamlike because of that frosting, with ten miles behind me and 10,000 more to go."

I've hiked through Mass--it'll be 20 years ago this summer when I was walking the Appalachian Trail. Nice country and easy hiking.

Good goals!

9:41 AM  
Blogger M-M-M-Mishy said...

I honestly don't know where you get the time. I want to hear about your adventures in grad school!

11:58 AM  
Blogger EditThis said...

Wow! I'm actually overwhelmed by your list, and it's not even MY list! You have some great goals. I wish I was that ambitious. Good luck teaching Nanners to do the dishes. Are you independently wealthy and able to not work so you can do all this stuff?

I'm not religious or Christian, but I took a class in college called Bible as Literature. We read the bible simply as a book and only saw Jesus as the main character in that book. It was really interesting.

3:15 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

edit - actually I meant that I'm trying to teach Hanna to leave the dirty dishes alone! She has learned how to get almost left in the sink that smells yummy . . . I'm lucky enough to work as an independent contractor so I have some control over my schedule - more than when I was an employee - but don't be fooled - most of these will remain "goals"!

3:32 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

p.s. that sounds like an interesting class - I'm not overly religious, and I think the Bible is best viewed metaphorically, rather than literally, which makes my friend who is a Jehovah's Witness crazy . . .

3:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG... and I thought my resolution to quit television was a task. You're so much more motivated than me:)

3:41 PM  
Blogger D.O.M. Dan said...

Happy New Year Diane. I hope you can at least achieve the goals you've set that are the most fun and important to you. Best wishes in '07.

4:41 PM  
Blogger GetFlix said...

Great goals, most seem modest. I've always felt resolutions should be reasonable.

7:05 PM  
Blogger prettykitty said...

you forgot to add to your list of resolutions, no more resolutions!! seriously, i need to lay down after reading your list. but i do highly recommend yoga. i've convinced alot of people to embrace it and they all have been miraculously changed by it. i like ashtangi and hatha, but if it's too much for you, try a beginners class. don't try to stand on your head the first day, it's impossible.

happy new year and happy new you!
sounds like a plan.

10:47 AM  
Blogger Prunella Jones said...

So many good ideas. All of them sound like worthy goals. Be sure to post pics of the newly painted bedroom.

6:05 PM  
Blogger v said...

I too enjoy making lists. It means we're organized Diane, not crazy. Okay, maybe a little crazy when we write a list to organize our lists.

I like your resolutions, especially number 6. And, if it's not too personal, let us all know how good or bad a program Nutrisystem is. And tell the truth Diane, you saw the commercial with all the former football players and signed up? Only kidding.

Happy 2007!

6:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home