Monday, January 29, 2007



My brush with greatness, Jim Everett edition . . . or how I made it through my first golf tournament.

Today I played in my first golf tournament. It turned out to be a lot of fun. My friend Lynne is a pretty good golfer, and I actually played the second best of the ladies in our foursome. I've been working on chipping and pitching, and I made some good short shots and decent putts today.

The one group behind us with a foursome with some golf pro and former NFL QB, Jim Everett - they won the tournament. I actually met Everett at the Forum Club during an LA Kings game back in the early '90s - but that is a story for another day. Today, the extent of my conversation with Jim was the following - Me - "yo - is this your Titleist 1 ball?" Jim - "no, we thought it belonged to you guys". Me - "Hey, I see you guys eyeing my hot pink Flying Lady ball." Jim - "no way - it's all your's."

Actually, our group was pretty slow, and they were very cool about it. So the bottom line is that all my fear and fretting was for naught, and I am excited about continuing to work on my game.

10 Comments:

Blogger GetFlix said...

Diane, it sounds like you were flirting.

10:28 PM  
Blogger sage said...

Are hot pink balls legal in tournaments? lol

4:43 AM  
Blogger Diane said...

flix - ok, so maybe I was!

sage - if you are also wearing plaid capris, they are definitely legal

7:07 AM  
Blogger LA said...

And you missed the rain by a day!

Flix - Jim Everett is a good looking man, I think Diane was just doing her duty as a woman! Diane, does he still live locally?

I think I already bored you guys with my Jim Everett story, but in case anyone missed it, I'll trot it out since it's relevant to this post.

It was back when the Rams were still in Anaheim. I was at Bobby McGees in the Marketplace in LB with a friend, Grand Prix weekend (I didn't live in this part of town yet, we were actually here on business, entertaining clients the next day at the race). I should note that my friend and I are both about 5 foot 2. Jim was there and the DJ had just thrown on the B-52s Rock Lobster. He came up to us, and actually put his elbow on my her head, and asked me if I wanted to "lobster." My friend's livid expression was priceless (she didn't know who he was, but I did), so I turned him down. He went on his merry way. The girls in that bar were ALL OVER HIM, and I had a good laugh.

12:39 PM  
Blogger D.O.M. Dan said...

Diane, was T.J. Rubley in that foursome with Jim Everett, and if so, did he play better than Jim? It seems like a fitting question to me.

I hope you had a great time playing golf. It's been 6 months since my last round :(

1:11 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

la - I did remember that you had met him, and thought about you yesterday - he still looks good, and I think has an investment company in OC

dan - ha! maybe so! you need to get out and golf again soon

3:47 PM  
Blogger Prunella Jones said...

I've never played golf but I have watched Caddyshack quite a few times. Any game with hot pink balls sounds good to me.

8:57 AM  
Blogger THN said...

Jim Everett was my favorite. Great job on the golf tournament. I'm not very good so when I play in these scrambles, I work on putting and chipping just so I can feel like I contribute something. I played in a tourney on Christmas Eve and don't believe we used one of my fairway shots.

12:53 PM  
Blogger v said...

Way to go on the golf tourney!

7:29 PM  
Blogger v said...

PS - I think we all know Jim was eyeing your hot pink Flying Lday ball.

7:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home