Saturday, April 14, 2007



I have just downloaded Bram Stoker's Dracula on to my iPod. I have always loved this horror story - both in literature and film. I read it years ago, and I think it will translate nicely to audio. Dracula has been the basis for countless films and plays. Three of the most famous are Nosferatu (1922), Dracula (1931), and Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992). In these movies, the Count was played by Max Schreck, Bela Lugosi and Gary Oldman, respectively. I am a big Gary Oldman fan, but it is hard to beat Bela Lugosi.






I also just finished listening to The Shifting Fog . In this book, the story of the ill-fated Hartford family is told by Grace Bradley, a former housemaid who is just 14 when she joins the staff at Riverton Manor in 1914. From the very beginning, wide-eyed Grace is fascinated by David, Hannah and Emmeline Hartford, the glamorous grandchildren of Riverton’s owner, Lord Ashbury. Following Hannah’s marriage to a wealthy American in 1919, Grace becomes her private maid. Over the next six years the lives of these women become closely intertwined, to the point where Grace gives up a chance for personal happiness in order to stay close to her troubled young mistress.


Now aged 98, Grace is reminded of the tragic events that occurred in the grounds of Riverton Manor in 1924 when she’s contacted by an American director. Ursula Ryan is making a movie about the death of a young poet called Robbie Hunter, who committed suicide during a garden party at Riverton. According to rumours at the time, the dead man was the lover of both sisters, who were the only witnesses to his death. After the tragedy, Hannah and Emmeline never spoke to each other again, and Grace is the only person still alive who knows the truth about what happened beside the lake on that fateful evening.
I enjoyed this book immensely, and do recommend it.

10 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Kinda on the same vein but different genres I have just downloaded all of the Red Dwarf Audio books and am looking forward to them ;)

6:42 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I forget about audio books for ipod, I'll have to look through what's available.

Here via Michele's,

Chelle

P.S. I used to LOVE anything/everything dracula when I was a teen and 20's, now (at 38) I'm a big chicken :) .

7:49 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

i need to spend less time blogging and more time reading! :o)

7:52 PM  
Blogger GetFlix said...

Diane, there is a fourth great film vampire, Klaus Kinski!! I did a review a while back, so you may have missed it. But if you're a fan, (As I am, big time!) you may want to check out Werner Herzog's "Nosferatu," released in 1978.

My review:
http://getflix.blogspot.com/search?q=kinski

9:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow - that sounds like a great story. Now I want to know what happened.

9:32 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

oracle - welcome! I haven't heard of those books - I'l check them out

chelle - I download books to my iPod from both iTunes and audible.com - check it out

karen - audio books are kind of cheating - I can "read" and knit

flix - cool, I'll check it out!

ffleur - I think you'd like Shifting Fog

10:09 PM  
Blogger carmilevy said...

You've reminded me that I need to spend more time loading great beyond-music content onto my iPod. There's so much more to consume than just music.

10:31 PM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

Thanks for your visit today....That little picture that says 'Kate Morton', looks like the actress, Mirium Hopkins as a young woman...! Is that a character from the second book you wrote about? That sounds like quite a story!
The only "Dracula" I have ever seen in the movies is Bela Lugosi...! And here is a little odd bit of trivia....Gary Oldman used to live down the street from me...!

1:05 AM  
Blogger sage said...

i have to confess and admit that I've never seen any of the Dracula nor have I read the book--I feel so uncivilized! Let me know how it is on ipod, it might be one of those books I wouldn't want to take the time to read, but would listen to while driving and working out.

3:24 AM  
Blogger PixieGaf said...

Although I love a good horror story for some reason reading Dracula scared the hell out of me. Although I was 10 when I first started reading it through the years I have tried to pick up where I left off and sure enough I end up having nightmares the day afterwards.

12:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home