Sunday, April 22, 2007



I made it back from La Quinta (it's about 120 mile drive each way). The weather was nice over the weekend, (though it rained on Friday) and I even sat by the pool for a bit yesterday and finished "A Great Deliverance" by Elizabeth George, which is, apparently, the first of the Inspector Lynley mysteries. In this book, additional background information was offered on the main characters that I didn't know from reading the later books in the series.

The other book I had with me is "The Strange Affair of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde" by Robert Louis Stevenson. Between it and Dracula, which I have been listening to on my iPod, I'm taking a stroll through creepy late 19th century literature and enjoying it alot. Maybe I'll head back to the early 19th century for Mary Shelley's Frankenstein next?

A bunch of us ate at a very cool restaurant called the Sand Bar in La Quinta on Friday night. It looks like it hasn't changed much since Frank, Dino and Sammy ate there in the '50s. The Palm Springs area may be booming, but they know their target audience.

Nanners and Noodles are glad to have me home, and this looks to be a busy week; but the highlight? Thursday, I am off to see David Sedaris.

Hope everyone has good things planned for the coming week!

10 Comments:

Blogger sage said...

Enjoy David Sedaris--I've never read his books (several are waiting for me to pick 'em up and read), but have heard him via NPR. I also know he grew up in North Carolina which should make his presentation all the more special...

6:21 PM  
Blogger NY KAT said...

I bet your dogs were excited to see you....whenever I get home from a trip my cats won't leave my side

7:39 PM  
Blogger GetFlix said...

A local friend has family in Palm Springs, and he says you can swim year round there. Seems it is popular place to retire.

7:58 PM  
Blogger LA said...

Warm Sedaris up well, I see him on Saturday. I bet the girls were happy to see their mama.

Sage - I highly recommend.

Flix - It's a very popular place to retire... or spend weekends. I'm a big fan.

8:51 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

sage - oh, you must pick up Sedaris - my personal favorite is "Me Talk Pretty Some Day" - highly recommended

kat - they were! and then they are so, so well behaved - for about 5 minutes

flix - it's a cool so cal getaway

la - I will definitely do my best!

9:10 PM  
Blogger ffleur said...

Diane, I asked my bookstore for The Shifting Fog only to be told its only available in Australia. So I told them "how can that be, I know a person in the US who is reading it (thought for a minute and then said) actually, I think she is listening to it."

The clerk said, its available in audiobook but not in book form.

Can you believe that? He said it might come out in a few months since the audiobook is now available. Since when did they start releasing audiobooks before the actual book in N. America?

9:48 PM  
Blogger M-M-M-Mishy said...

David Sedaris never disappoints! Make sure to let us how he was live.

9:54 AM  
Blogger Prunella Jones said...

I shall be busy warning the world that the day of judgement is at hand. And it will be judged harshly of this I can assure you, so sayeth the scribes of the seven levels of Blargh!

Glad you had a good weekend.

10:14 AM  
Blogger Diane said...

ffleur - that truly surprises me . . . but I hope you will look for it when it does come out

mishy - will do!

prunella - anything we should do to prepare? will I be saved if I wear my Blargh pendant?

10:20 AM  
Blogger Ryan said...

I AM SO DAMN JEALOUS OF YOU AND LA!!!

I want to see David Sedaris!

5:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home