Saturday, May 05, 2007

Last weekend was busy, next weekend promises to be busy, but my calendar this weekend is delightfully clear.

I've started a couple new audio books - Sin Killer by Larry McMurtry and Darkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff Lindsay. I'm of two minds when it comes to McMurtry - he has written some wonderful books - Lonesome Dove and The Last Picture Show are my two favorites. When he is good, he is superb. But he also has the bad habit of veering into the ludicrous - creating comic book characters, instead of demonstrating keen insight into memorable characters. I'm hoping Sin Killer - the first of the Berrybender series - is not too silly.

Darkly Dreaming Dexter is the basis for the Dexter series - which I loved - on Showtime. I've heard good things about the book, too. Dexter is a highly respected lab technician specializing in blood spatter for the Miami Dade Police Department. He's polite, says all the right things, and rarely calls attention to himself. He's also a sociopathic serial killer whose "Dark Passenger" drives him to commit the occasional dismemberment - - but only of the bad guys who "deserve" it.

Last night as I was walking the dogs, a flock of 12 pelicans flying in a well formed "V" flew overhead. It was a beautiful sight. So, my big goals for the weekend are to work on my golf swing at the range, and to go for a hike or run in the wetlands. I'm hoping there will be a nice variety of wildlife in the wetlands . . . .

And, of course, the baby shower for baby Ellie is next weekend, so I really, really need to complete the never ending baby blanket this weekend . . . at least the knitting portion. Sewing it together is another story, and I have the feeling I will spend next Saturday morning desperately weaving in the gazillion loose ends of yarn.


















My Memorial Day variety rose bush is beginning to bloom. It's not as showy as the Billy Graham, but the scent is strong and sweet.


















And finally . . . for Mishy . . . .

12 Comments:

Blogger NY KAT said...

OK, I have to say that I LOVE the tea pot! I think it's adorable! But then again, I am a cat FREAK!

I'm hoping to get out tomorrow and play some golf. I really need to work on my swing!

8:01 AM  
Blogger M-M-M-Mishy said...

OMG, that tea pot made my day! Thanks, Diane!

Best of luck on the baby blanket, it looks fantastic already.

8:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL - that tea pot! Her empty cup need a tiny rose or maybe a spot of tea?

ffleur

11:08 AM  
Blogger Pat said...

Love the pelicans! Audios sound a little frightening but then I'm a wus! Good luck with the blanket - it looks really pretty.
Michele says hi!

2:22 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Great pics again, Diane.

Have a relaxing weekend!

5:01 PM  
Blogger sage said...

Diane, I know you are the queen of the multi-taskers, but how do you manage to listen to more than one book at a time? I often will read 3-5 books at a time, but when it comes to my ipod, I finish one book before I start another. You must have a nice garden.

5:49 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

sage - I have an old school mp3 player in my car with one book on it, and another on my iPod - so I listen to one book when driving, and the other when walking, etc. . . 'tis a bit odd, I admit

6:15 PM  
Blogger EditThis said...

I admire your roses. I have 4-5 rose bushes in my tiny front porch area, and I try to dead head them, but they grow all wonky now. I have such a black thumb. I inherited them when I bought the property. I wish it was just bark or something out there!

8:11 PM  
Blogger GetFlix said...

That teapot is cool. (C'mon Diane, give mom some credit!)

And I think your baby gift is going to be a hit.

8:24 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

I admit that as far as tea pots shaped liked a cat wearing an apron go, this is as good as it gets . . . :-)

It just doesn't fit in all that well with my somewhat lame attempts at decorating . . .

8:47 PM  
Blogger LA said...

The baby blanket is looking great! I think you're going to make it. I recommend doing all your sewing and weaving of ends in front of the television. We're having SnB Friday, too, for last minute weaving. I think it goes faster when you're multi-tasking, otherwise sewing is kind of boring.

Hope your weekend is delightfully lazy!

10:55 PM  
Blogger kookla@work said...

That baby blanket is beautiful!! I keep telling myself to look up those knitting lessons LA turned me on to.

12:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home