Saturday, May 19, 2007


My latest project is "Gigi" from chicknits.com. So far, I have completed the sleeves, and have started knitting the body in the round.



















My favorite Hibiscus is in bloom. I love the deep pink color.

Samantha wants to know what we have planned for today? Not much is the answer. As usual, we got up at 6 am, and went for a nice long walk. I've done a bit of gardening (I had to re-pot 2 Plumeria), and have been knitting and listening to "The Observations", by Jane Harris.


Harris' debut novel, set in Scotland in 1863, is narrated by the lively, sharp Bessy Buckley, who leaves Glasgow and happens into a job as a maid at Castle Haivers, an estate nowhere near as grand as its name suggests. Her mistress, Arabella, takes a personal interest in Bessy and encourages her to write her thoughts and experiences in a journal. She also subjects Bessy to odd experiments, but Bessy goes along with them because she is flattered by the attention and quickly growing attached to her mistress. Things change when Bessy snoops in Arabella's locked desk and discovers the book Arabella has been writing, The Observations, a study of the "habits and nature of the Domestic Class." Bessy is incensed to read some less-than-favorable things about herself in the account, as well as to learn of her mistress' affection for one of her predecessors, a girl who died under mysterious circumstances. Bessy concocts a revenge that ends up having consequences far more lasting than she ever envisioned.


When I started the audible book and they said it was narrated by the author, I sighed . . . But it turns out that Harris is quite talented as a narrator - able to use different voices, and she has a lovely singing voice. I'm enjoying this audible book quite a bit!


Happy Saturday, all!

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sweater is adorable!! I especially like the ribbon (?) threaded through the neckline.

The audio book sounds good! I'll have to check that out. I always cringe when I learn that it's the author reading - I listened to a Jackie Collins audio book one time and thought I was going to have to stop because she has a speech impediment and it just didn't sound very good.

Michele says hello and have a great weekend!

10:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wee sounds like fun...I m currently listening to Blackwood Farm by Anne Rice.

Michele sent me to say hello.

1:10 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I like that sweater a lot. Are you making it out of cotton? It looks like it's going to be both comfy and fashionable. And maybe pretty easy to make, too???

Here via Michele

2:01 PM  
Blogger sage said...

There are some people who read books well--doesn't Bill Bryson read his books and they are very funny... nice looking sweater!

2:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like your color for the sweater better than the one in the finished picture, it's a pretty style too!
The book sounds really good. I've been amazed at how much I enjoy audible books in my car driving to & from work.
Thanks for stopping by my blog earlier.

4:36 PM  
Blogger D.O.M. Dan said...

What a beautiful Hibiscus. I'm fortunate to have many in my backyard - pink, red and white.

I recognized the Plumeria stock before you mentioned it further down. Love those too, but I don't have any.

9:27 AM  
Blogger LA said...

Wait, did you already finish the sweater from Knitty? OMG, you are prolific!

11:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Diane - I am so delighted that you are enjoying the audible book! I was a fool to volunteer to do it as it's the hardest thing I've ever done in my life (so much to remember - the accents, breathing, pacing, swallowing - arrggh!). Never again. I'm much better just sticking to writing. But I'm really really glad you have found the audible book. Hope your enjoyment continues, all best wishes, Jane Harris.

7:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home