Thursday, May 17, 2007



These are the two words I had to look up in the dictionary today.

pithy

Pronunciation: 'pi-thE

Function: adjective

Inflected Form(s): pith-i-er; -est

1 : consisting of or abounding in pith 2 : having substance and point : tersely cogent

synonym see CONCISE

benediction

Pronunciation: "be-n&-'dik-sh&n

Function: noun

Etymology: Middle English benediccioun, from Late Latin benediction-, benedictio, from benedicere to bless, from Latin, to speak well of, from bene well (akin to Latin bonus good) + dicere to say -- more at BOUNTY, DICTION

1 : the invocation of a blessing; especially : the short blessing with which public worship is concluded2 : something that promotes goodness or well-being3 often capitalized : a Roman Catholic or Anglo-Catholic devotion including the exposition of the eucharistic Host in the monstrance and the blessing of the people with it4 : an expression of good wishes

The first, to see if I was being insulted (I was not), and the second, so that I could use it correctly at Reality Rant

8 Comments:

Blogger Sister Christian said...

Heehee, I LOVE looking up words in the dictionary. IN fact, when I'm really bored, I read the dictionary. It's a lot more entertaining than it sounds.
ANYWAY, thank you for wishing me a happy birthday and I am going to do more scouring on your blog because I am honestly intrigued...

1:15 PM  
Blogger M-M-M-Mishy said...

Pithy does sound like it's meant to be insulting, doesn't it?

4:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was brought up with a love of words & their meanings & I keep a pocket dictionary in my desk at work to thumb through when I'm bored (most of the time) A co-worker recently thought it was a new testament, I think I scandalized her when I showed her what it was & told her in a manner of sorts it is my bible!

6:23 PM  
Blogger GetFlix said...

Diane felt self-affirming benediction while basking in the pithy aromas of the tropical island's flora.

7:52 PM  
Blogger Prunella Jones said...

Dictionary.com is the first site I ever bookmarked. I agree with DEborah, it is fun to look up words.

6:50 AM  
Blogger Megan said...

I love the dictionary; sometimes I read it for fun. Yes, there is something wrong with me!

Hi! Michele sent me today. Have a wonderful weekend, abounding in pith.

7:40 AM  
Blogger Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Yeah, that goes with what I thought pithy meant. I had to think about it, though; it's one of those words you just sort of use without really thinking too much about.

Here from Michele's; I think I might poke around a bit...

11:27 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

During the wholesale pandora beads World War II, Art Deco jewellery was pandora silver beads a very popular style among women. The females started pandora glass beads wearing short dresses and cut their hair short. And cheap pandora beads such boyish style was accessorized with Art Deco jewellery. They used discount pandora beads long dangling earrings and necklaces, multiple bracelets and bold pandora beads sale rings.Art Deco jewellery has harshly geometric and symmetrical theme instead pandora earrings silver of free flowing curves and naturalistic motifs. Art Deco Jewelry pandora earrings sale today displays designs that consist of arcs, circles, rectangles, squares, and pandora sets triangles. Bracelets, earrings, necklaces and rings are added with long lines and curves.One cheap pandora sets example of Art Deco jewelry is the Art Deco new pandora bangles ring.Art Deco rings have sophisticated sparkle and bold styles. These rings are not intended for a subtle look, they are meant to be noticed. Hence, these are perfect for people with bold styles.

9:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home