Sunday, June 17, 2007



Happy Father's Day to all the dads out there!

Unfortunately, my father died 30 years ago, a little before my 16th birthday, but I have many fond memories of him. My love of sports can definitely be traced back to my father. I remember climbing the stairs of the LA Coliseum to the very last (and highest) row to watch Roman Gabriel and the Los Angeles Rams. We went to every single Angels' home game from the mid '60s to the early '70s. I remember going to CSULB with him to watch college basketball, and staying up on Friday nights to watch UCLA basketball games (this was in the John Wooden undefeated era) broadcast beginning at 11:30 pm, and going with my dad and brother to the drive-in to watch a James Bond triple feature. My all time favorite Christman present to this day was when I got my own fishing rod from my dad.

I also know he is rolling over in his grave every time I enter the voting booth and vote Democrat - sorry Dad! And Happy Father's Day!

4 Comments:

Blogger sage said...

What a great tribute although I am sorry to learn that you lost your dad at such an early age.

I remember Roman Gabriel, he'd been a star from my hometown (at the time we had two stars in the NFL, he and Sonny Jergeson). I also remember the Wooten era and the solid wall that Carolina ran up against in the NCAA tournment. I chuckled with the twist at the end!

9:27 AM  
Blogger D.O.M. Dan said...

I agree with Sage's sentiments regarding your dad. I too lost my dad, but much more recently than you. I couldn't imagine what you must have gone through at that age.

My dad also took me to see the Rams at the L.A. Coliseum. However, we were Dodger fans, and went to a handful of home games each year back in the 70's. I eventually turned to the Red side of town and became an Angles fan. How about that win yesterday?

2:03 PM  
Blogger v said...

Yeah, a wonderful tribute. Must have been some magical memories. And (surprise, surprise) you turned out to be a sports fan.

PS - Your Angels are looking pretty good.

7:34 PM  
Blogger kookla@work said...

Diane, what a sweet sentiment. Like you, my dad passed away when I was young. I was fortunate enough to have a stepdad since I was 3, who I am so grateful to every Father's Day for being the best dad I could ever wish for.

BTW: I remember Roman Gabriel because my brother Ramon went through a phase where he wanted us to call him "Roman." LOL

5:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home