Thursday, June 21, 2007



I am currently listening to "The Looming Tower: Al-Qaeda and the Road to 9/11" by Lawrence Wright. Wright, a New Yorker writer, brings exhaustive research and delightful prose to what is generally regarded as one of the best books yet on the history of terrorism.


The book starts in the days post World War II, and lays out the rise of Islamic militants in Egypt, and later, in Saudi Arabia. Wright begins with the observation that, despite an impressive record of terror and assassination, post–World WarII, Islamic militants failed to establish theocracies in any Arab country. Many helped Afghanistan resist the Russian invasion of 1979 before their unemployed warriors stepped up efforts at home. Al-Qaeda, formed in Afghanistan in 1988 and led by Osama bin Laden, pursued a different agenda, blaming America for Islam's problems. Less wealthy than believed, bin Laden's talents lay in organization and PR, Wright asserts. Ten years later, bin Laden blew up U.S. embassies in Africa and the destroyer Cole, opening the floodgates of money and recruits. Wright's step-by-step description of these attacks reveals that planning terror is a sloppy business, leaving a trail of clues that, in the case of 9/11, raised many suspicions among individuals in the FBI, CIA and NSA.


Wright shows that 9/11 could have been prevented if those agencies had worked together. Instead, they failed to even share important pieces of information, let alone coordinate and cooperate, and at times were torn apart by inter-agency and intra-agency infighting. For example, the mostly young and female agents at the CIA assigned to prevent terrorist attacks at home are nicknamed "the Manson Family" and ridiculed for their devotion to their assignment, and thus, largely ignored. . . .


This is an important, gripping and profoundly disheartening book. I’ve got about 2 hours left in the audible book, and sadly, know how it will end.

7 Comments:

Blogger ffleur said...

You know what I can't help remembering? Everytime there is anything about the twin towers collapsing, I remember a documentary done by two French brothers. It was filmed inside one of the towers in the lobby before it collapsed. There were these "thwack" sounds as something was hitting the ground very hard. I found out later that sound was bodies falling. Ghastly. Can't forget it.

10:57 PM  
Blogger Prunella Jones said...

I can't read anything about 911. Too depressing. Just the other day I was watching TV while walking on the treadmill at the gym and Flight 93 (I think it was called) came on. I had tears rolling down my cheeks after ten minutes and had to turn it off. Too sad.

6:43 AM  
Blogger sage said...

Good review, I'll have to check out this book in audio, it sounds like something I should read or hear. btw, I'm now listening to Dracula--I've never read it before and I'm surprised at how I'm drawn into the story and I've only listened to the first 90 minutes.

6:51 AM  
Blogger Diane said...

ffleur, pru - this guy writes really well, and I'm learning about alot of things and getting a lot of information that you never get from our media . . .

Sage - I listened to Dracula a couple of months ago and really enjoyed it!

7:17 AM  
Blogger M-M-M-Mishy said...

I was in grade 13 when 9/11 happened. Wow, sometimes it feels like a long time ago and other times like it just a few months ago...

10:49 AM  
Blogger NY KAT said...

My aunt worked right next to ground zero, luckily she got out ok. What an awful day that was.

10:24 AM  
Blogger v said...

I believe Wright has also written some exceptional articles for Slate if my memory is correct. In any case, I remember when the book first came out and heard nothing but great praise. I'm not surprised that it is an incisive, sobering read. Thanks for the review/recommendation Diane.

9:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home