Friday, July 20, 2007

I pulled out my box of cds looking for the classic, "My Aim is True" by Elvis Costello. I couldn't find Elvis, but I did find the following:





3 copies of Bob Marley and the Wailers' "Legend". Legend is one of my if-you-were-stranded-on-a-desert-island-and-could-only-bring-10-cds cds, but 3 copies seems like overkill.





Even more disturbing is "Happy Holidays, With Love . . . Esteban", a 3 disc compilation of "Esteban's Favorite Holiday Treasures" (never opened). I'm not sure if Esteban sells his music anywhere but the Home Shopping Network, but how many glasses of egg nog did I drink before I picked up the phone to order anything sold by this man ----->















Next on the hit parade? Floored by Sugar Ray. Saying this cd sucks is unfair to suckie cds. Sure, "Fly" was a catchy single, but the rest of the cd sounds nothing like that. I'm pretty sure I listened to this once.





This last cd was also only listened to once or twice, but in this case, that is not a reflection on the quality of the music - - Dark Side of the Moon by Pink Floyd. This cd was purchased to accompany a viewing of The Wizard of Oz. You may have heard the urban legend that Dark Side of the Moon is written as a sort of unofficial soundtrack to Wizard. It sort of works; you turn off the sound on the movie and play the cd instead. For instance, the song "Money", or at least the clanging of the cash register, seems to play whenever the Wicked Witch of the West is on the screen. Admittedly, it helps if you are slightly schnockered/stoned when you test out this legend.



Do you have any cds/albums in your collection that make you say to yourself, "what the f$%k was I thinking?"

14 Comments:

Blogger D.O.M. Dan said...

Yes. I’m embarrassed to admit that I bought David Lee Roth’s Eat ‘Em And Smile. However, at the time I was a huge Van Halen fan, and still think the band put out its best music with Roth on vocals.

Another I'm embarrassed of is Great White's Once Bitten. I was going through a heavy metal stage.

I've never heard of the Dark Side / Oz legend.

7:37 PM  
Blogger sage said...

Wow Diane, you're brave to show us these (although I liked the first and the last ones). Maybe one day I'll have to go through my collection of CDs, but most of the ones I don't like were given to me (maybe we could do a swap?)

9:02 PM  
Blogger EditThis said...

I definitely do! However, I believe I shall search through the albums this week and post. That should be fun. Thanks for the idea!

I'd heard that Dark Side/Oz thing actually worked quite well. Must try next time I'm stoned off my head.

9:10 AM  
Blogger LA said...

I'll go through mine later and do a post! Great idea!

p.s. I have heard that Dark Side of the Moon/Wizard of Oz legend, and I've always meant to try it!

There's no shame in Pink Floyd or Marley, IMO. Hilarious that you had three copies of Legand. I found two copies of Tusk in my collection.

9:26 AM  
Blogger Diane said...

dan - hey - both of those albums had some catchy hits . . . but you probably aren't likely to pull them out these days for a listen . . .

sage - sure - what do you have to swap? I have an Esteban cd going cheap . . .

edit - it's a legend best explored during one's misspent youth

la - totally agree, I love Marley, and Dark Side is a good album . . . maybe I'll give it a listen this weekend . . .

10:03 AM  
Blogger Prunella Jones said...

The Pink Floyd/Wizard of Oz thing is true. It's extremely impressive if you are chemically enhanced. Otherwise, meh.

El Hombre has met Esteban. He taped a concert for him that ran on PBS. Estaban gave him a couple of CDs which we still have, also unopened.

I'm a bit embarrased to admit that I own a Britney Spears Best of CD, but what can I say? "Toxic" is a great song!

12:16 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

pru - how creepy was Esteban in real life?

2:03 PM  
Blogger Princess in Galoshes said...

Ha ha, I have two copies of Legends, myself. :-)

I also still have a Dead Milkmen CD, from when I went through my very brief grunge phase. Ha. The lyrics are pretty funny, actually, but the quality of music? Is painful.

4:08 PM  
Blogger sage said...

Diane, I'm not sure I have anything that I dislike enough to give up for Esteban. By the way, I thought you were a big Who fan, some of these CDs just don't sound like anything a Who fan would touch.

7:34 PM  
Blogger Ryan said...

Oh Diane, Sugar Ray... who would have thought that Mark McGrath would be hosting Extra in 2007 when the "Fly" song was popular?

I stumbled across a BARENAKED LADIES CD the other day while searching through my CD collection. That song "One Week" was extremely popular in 1998, the year I graduated from high school.

11:47 PM  
Blogger ffleur said...

I'd recommend two classics:

Metallica - Black Album

Def Leppard - Hysteria

otherwise, I like to create my own compilation cds because I never like ALL the songs on a CD and hence feel ripped off.

1:47 PM  
Blogger Prunella Jones said...

Diane- I didn't meet him myself but according to Hombre he was a bit of a diva.

6:20 AM  
Blogger sage said...

Ok, here's my deal--I'll trade you either "The Baddest of George Thorogood" or "Nervous Night" by the Hooters for one of your Marley collections. I'm not touching the Estenban CD, maybe you should pick a random address of a co-worker and send it to them saying they just won the consolation prize for the Publisher's Sweepstakes....

9:24 AM  
Blogger Kristina said...

I used to sort of be embarassed but now it's all cheesy goodness!
The Defranco Family beacause a heartbeat is a love beat!

http://www.defranco.com/gallery/

Ps um Tony, yum...

5:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home