Monday, July 23, 2007



Mandevilla blossoms . . .

Should be another busy work week, but I'm working at home today. Any day spent working in shorts and thongs, listening to the dogs snore and the birds bickering over the seed in the feeder, is not too bad of a work day.

I could have sworn that I pre-ordered a copy of the latest Harry Potter, but nothing arrived in the mail . . . apparently, I just intended to pre-order a copy. I haven't been reading a whole lot lately, but always have 3 books going, even if I'm not giving them much time or attention. In hard copy, I'm reading Look to the Lady by Margery Allingham - a British mystery set in the early '30s - featuring Albert Campion. I'm listening to Obsession by Jonathan Kellerman on my iPod and The Devil of Nanking in my car. I haven't read Kellerman before, and I am enjoying his latest Alex Delaware whodunit.

Devil of Nanking involves a young English woman's travels to Tokyo to discover the truth behind the massacre of 300,000 Chinese civilians by Japanese soldiers in 1937. The massacre really happened, but is rarely acknowledged by the Japanese. The story of this young woman, however, is fiction. I have concerns that eventually this book will get too gruesome for my listening pleasure. The problem with audible books is that it is hard to page quickly over parts you don't much want to read or hear . . .

I'm golfing on Friday afternoon, so hey, at least I have that going for me . . .

4 Comments:

Blogger EditThis said...

I forgot to order my Potter book, too. Just as well. I just started in on a little light summer reading called Atlas Shrugged so I think I'll be busy for awhile.

4:10 PM  
Blogger sage said...

I didn't forget to order my Potter book... Haven't read the first one yet.

The novel on Nanking sounds interesting--i just googled it and read a review. The "Rape of Nanking" by Iris Chang (I think that's her name) was disturbing. Reading about her suicide a few years ago was heartbreaking.

7:48 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

Edit - I haven't read Atlas, but I did read the Fountainhead . . .

sage - I do recommend the Potter books - they are quite good. I'll let you know how my Nanking book goes!

8:18 PM  
Blogger v said...

As always, beautiful flower photo.

And have a great time golfing!

5:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home