Thursday, October 04, 2007



In a surprising bit of good news . . . .

All but one of the 49 remaining pit bulls seized from a home owned by NFL star Michael Vick at the outset of a dogfighting investigation have placement potential, according to a motion filed Monday in U.S. District Court. One of the dogs has a history of biting people and should be euthanized, according to the motion, which cites extensive behavioral testing done on all the dogs seized from the property in rural Surry County. It says the dogs were put through a protocol of 11 exercises to evaluate their behavior toward humans and other animals.

In a not so surprising bit of bad news . . . .

Women in Basra, Iraq have become the targets of a violent campaign by religious extremists, who leave more than 15 female bodies scattered around the city each month, police officers say. Maj. Gen. Abdel Jalil Khalaf , the commander of Basra's police, said Thursday that self-styled enforcers of religious law threatened, beat and sometimes shot women who they believed weren't sufficiently Muslim. Before the U.S.-led invasion in 2003, Iraqi women had rights enshrined in the country's constitution since 1959 that were among the broadest of any Arab or Islamic nation.

Of course, living in the dark ages isn't limited to the Arab world . . .

In an interview with the New York Observer Ann Coulter said, "If we took away women's right to vote, we'd never have to worry about another Democrat president. It's kind of a pipe dream, it's a personal fantasy of mine, but I don't think it's going to happen. And it is a good way of making the point that women are voting so stupidly, at least single women."

"It also makes the point, it is kind of embarrassing, the Democratic Party ought to be hanging its head in shame, that it has so much difficulty getting men to vote for it. I mean, you do see it’s the party of women and 'We’ll pay for health care and tuition and day care -- and here, what else can we give you, soccer moms?'"

Last time I was in NYC, I ended up sitting next to an older gentleman visiting from Virginia who was a big Ann Coulter fan. I have enough respect for my elders that I didn't grab him, shake him and scream. Here's hoping I have better luck chatting up men in bars in Midtown this time around.

10 Comments:

Blogger sage said...

A friend of mine (he's actually in my list of blogs) gave his wife an Ann Coulter doll as a joke--I asked to borrow it, thinking I'd take up a bit of voodoo... Way back in my blog, Nevada Jack did a couple of satires on her

6:22 PM  
Blogger sage said...

Here are the posts:

http://sagecoveredhills.blogspot.com/2006/06/ann-coulter-anorexic-witch.html

http://sagecoveredhills.blogspot.com/2005/11/good-news-for-dark-beer-drinkers.html (this one you'll have to read to the end)

6:29 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

sage - I love it, and couldn't agree more!

7:45 PM  
Blogger Prunella Jones said...

Even though I know Ann Coulter is a joke and she just says that crap to get headlines (I hate it that the media eat her up) I'd still love nothing more than to kick that ugly tranny in the balls.

7:19 AM  
Blogger Princess in Galoshes said...

Every hair on my body is bristling. That woman is such a sensationalist. I don't think she even cares that much, she just likes the attention. (As Prunella said.)

GAK.

Here's to a more enlightened New York experience....

8:52 AM  
Blogger GetFlix said...

You must be really excited about the upcoming trip!!

11:35 AM  
Blogger prettykitty said...

i have to admit, i'm not much of a dog person, but every time i hear what vick did to those dogs it makes me want to cry. but i had a great idea, instead of sending vick to jail, they should just entrust him with the care of ann coulter.

who knows what the outcome will be, but if they winded up torturing each other to death, we all win.

5:30 PM  
Blogger EditThis said...

Ooh...where is this Ann person? She needs to be...well, anything I say about this would probably violate the Homeland Security act, so I guess I'll bite my tongue.

11:15 AM  
Blogger LA said...

I have a good idea. Ann Coulter can go ahead and stop voting. I like Sage's voodoo doll idea.

That's really pretty amazing that only one of Vick's dogs was deemed unadoptable. I'm a big fan of pit bulls. Without exception, the many I have met have always been the biggest of sweet babies.

4:40 PM  
Blogger Kelly said...

ann coulter makes my skin crawl.

10:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home