Sunday, November 11, 2007



I had a nice Saturday, even though it included 1. eating crow, and 2. having my ego brought back to earth.

Once in a while, when I am at the local nail shop getting a pedicure, I also have my eyebrows waxed. Even though I always tell them in pidgin english "not too thin", after a few months of untrained Vietnamese immigrants pouring hot wax on my forehead, my eyebrows started to resemble those of Greta Garbo. Granted, if I was a beautiful, foreign movie star in the 1940s (or Joan Crawford), I may have been able to pull it off. Since I am none of those things, I was beginning to look ridiculous. So I ventured back to "Martha", the best eyebrow lady around, did my mea culpa, listened to her "tsk, tsk" about my eyebrows, and I am back on the road to having the remaining brows shaped in a (semi-) appealing arch.

Then I stopped by the local pub to put in my NFL picks for the week, and enjoy a lovely wine spritzer. I endured a fair amount of ribbing from the locals about just giving the money directly to me, until Ron walked in. While I was beginning to think I could quit my day job and just make a living betting football in Vegas, what with my two wins this season, I learned that Ron has won the pool THREE times, including last week. He's about 80 years old.

Good news, I'm still the high bidder on the Jerry O'Connell photo!

10 Comments:

Blogger Prunella Jones said...

It is definitely worth the money to have your eyebrows done by a pro.

Jerry O'Connell is cute, but he'll always be the fat kid from Stand By Me to me.

9:14 AM  
Blogger Diane said...

And the best part? She charges a measley 6 bucks

9:30 AM  
Blogger sage said...

The eyebrow part of this post is so far out of my experience range... If I ever have to have my eyebrows done, I'll try to find someone fluent in English! Till then, I'll just continue to occassionally run my beard trimmer through them when a wiley hair appears...

9:44 AM  
Blogger EditThis said...

This exchange reminds me of the Men In Trees episode I just watched where, the day before her wedding, a girl accidentally waxed off her entire eyebrow. So, do you always look surprised?

11:43 AM  
Blogger Diane said...

sage - waxing and plucking are best avoided

edit - just slightly . . . :-)

12:49 PM  
Blogger LA said...

OMG, I need Martha's number!

3:58 PM  
Blogger M-M-M-Mishy said...

A good eyebrow waxer is hard to come by, but once you find a good one, stick with them. Trust me. I went through 3 months of a heavy-handed wax and I looked very odd.

4:16 PM  
Blogger Yoga Gal said...

To quote Garbo "I want to be alone!" Sweet heart be careful when getting your nails done you can get a lot of nasty infections!

6:40 PM  
Blogger GetFlix said...

Diane let this be a lesson . . . never outsource your brows!!

8:11 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

oh, I love my pedicures, eyebrow waxing, manicures, highlighting...

...guess my sister would refer to me as high maintenance!

*giggle*

7:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home