Sunday, December 02, 2007




Samantha's new sweater came out better than most of the sweaters I make for myself. Here, she and Hanna wait for a cookie from the dog bakery.


I'm a big fan of Bill Bryson's books (Especially In a Sunburned Country and A Short History of Nearly Everything), and right now I am listening in my car to The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid, and absolutely loving it. I will likely find an excuse to drive around today, just to listen to it. It's a memoir of his growing up in the '50s and '60s in Des Moines, Iowa. While I was born 10 years after Bryson, his description of life in simpler times, and growing up in a world where you played outdoors all day, penny candy was usually wax objects filled with cough syrup like liquid, and silly putty was considered a cutting edge toy, is laugh out loud funny. I highly recommend this book to anyone who remembers those days.
For the stubbed toe update, I think I have injured the "Metatarsal Phalangeal Joint". It's not the toe itself that hurts, it's the joint where the toe joins the ball of my foot. I've got a pretty big lump to the side of my foot. I'm not even sure what doctor to go to - the GP? Directly to an orthopedist? Or a podiatrist? But I will get it checked out next week.
I broke down and bought some new outdoor Xmas lights yesterday, since the old ones had faded to the point that all the bulbs looked basically the same color, and put those up today. Since I also changed the battery in my smoke detector, I feel like I have accomplished plenty, and plan to enjoy the rest of the day.
Go Bolts!

10 Comments:

Blogger EditThis said...

I tried to read In a Sunburnt Country before I went to OZ, and I got bored about a 1/3 of the way in. Maybe I'll have to give him another try someday.

12:48 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

edit - I really like him in an audible format

1:05 PM  
Blogger Princess in Galoshes said...

Hmmm, Thunderbolt Kid sounds interesting. I'll look into it. Silly Putty as cutting edge, I love it!

2:05 PM  
Blogger sage said...

I listened to Bryson's Sunburnt Country and really enjoyed it. I've also read his book about the Appalachian Trail, his travels in England and his travels in the US when he moved back here. I'll have to check out Thunderbolt Kid.

I hope things work out well with your toe--sounds like you better have it looked at.

3:44 PM  
Blogger norm said...

Norm is just amazed you can a dog into any garment.

9:24 PM  
Blogger Prunella Jones said...

Love that sassy pink sweater.

Bill Bryson is so funny. I love his travel books.

6:22 AM  
Blogger Ryan said...

Weird. Here I thought the Metatarsal Phalangeal Joint was a this lounge where intellectual types go to take hallucinagenics and talk about space and time travel.

11:11 AM  
Blogger M-M-M-Mishy said...

Sandra Bullock is one of the 10 highest paid actresses. I dare you to send her your toe bill!

5:02 PM  
Blogger LA said...

I read Thunderbolt Kid... Loved it, love Bryson in general.

It's probably easier to get in to see your primary M.D., and if they have x-ray capability, you can get treated there. Or an urgent care center. I'd say you don't need to bother with an orthopedist unless it becomes a surgical issue.

The sweater turned out great, and she looks totally adorable in it. I love that she's so willing to get dressed up! :)

6:18 PM  
Blogger maggie moran said...

At our book club meeting for A Walk in the Woods by Bryson we had some dissenters that thought he just did the trail so he could write the book. After, mind you, I had just given them his bio and told them he writes travelogues. With a straight face, I said, "How interesting?!?" I kinda assumed I spoke over their head and should have explained what a travelogue meant. ;D

5:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home