Tuesday, December 11, 2007



I have been on a really fun roll with the audible books I've been listening to this past week. First up is Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol. This audio book is only a few hours long, but is a great book to read around the holidays. The story of Scrooge - not a bad man - but a good man who has lost his way - is a reminder to appreciate the things that are really important in life. Bringing joy and helping those less fortunate.
Next up is Bill Bryson's biography of Shakespeare. Or rather it is almost an anti-biography, pointing out how little we actually know about the man. I have been to Stratford-Upon-Avon many times, have had the pleasure of attending plays at the Royal Shakespeare Theater, and I enjoy Bryson's writing style. I also enjoy Elizabethan history, so this book was an all-around winner for me.
Finally, this morning I started Stephen Colbert's I am America and So Can You! For my money, Colbert and Jon Stewart are the two funniest men alive, and Colbert's audio book does not disappoint.
All three of these books are fairly short, (I figure I can justify some shorter books after listening to Ulysses), and I recommend them all.

11 Comments:

Blogger GetFlix said...

The Colbert book looks good!!

10:24 AM  
Blogger sage said...

I would love to read Bryon's take on Shakespeare--and I love Colbert--maybe I should listen to that too--I'm still working through the 25 or so hours of Crime and Punishment--which shouldn't be read in the dark and dreay time of the year.

As for Shakespeare--you should check out the festival in Cedar City, UT--they have an outdoor "Globe Theatre" and do quality work--and only another 2.5 hours from Vegas

3:11 PM  
Blogger LA said...

Is the Bryson bio of Shakespeare new? I hadn't heard about it.

4:54 PM  
Blogger EditThis said...

A guy at work today had on a shirt that said, "Colbert/Stewart 2008."

11:27 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

flix - it is funny

sage - I'll check out the festival, thanks!

la - it is pretty new

edit - they have my vote!

6:43 AM  
Blogger Princess in Galoshes said...

Who reads I am America!? The reader can make or break it.

7:36 AM  
Blogger Diane said...

princess - Colbert reads most of it, but I also recognized Amy Sedaris

8:05 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

Sounds great!

2:00 PM  
Blogger NY KAT said...

My new thing is listening to NPR, it makes me grateful for what I have in my life.

5:29 PM  
Blogger maggie moran said...

Are you doing these audios as you commute or around the house? I imagine you get some looks on the train w/ I am America! :)

4:07 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

During the wholesale pandora beads World War II, Art Deco jewellery was pandora silver beads a very popular style among women. The females started pandora glass beads wearing short dresses and cut their hair short. And cheap pandora beads such boyish style was accessorized with Art Deco jewellery. They used discount pandora beads long dangling earrings and necklaces, multiple bracelets and bold pandora beads sale rings.Art Deco jewellery has harshly geometric and symmetrical theme instead pandora earrings silver of free flowing curves and naturalistic motifs. Art Deco Jewelry pandora earrings sale today displays designs that consist of arcs, circles, rectangles, squares, and pandora sets triangles. Bracelets, earrings, necklaces and rings are added with long lines and curves.One cheap pandora sets example of Art Deco jewelry is the Art Deco new pandora bangles ring.Art Deco rings have sophisticated sparkle and bold styles. These rings are not intended for a subtle look, they are meant to be noticed. Hence, these are perfect for people with bold styles.

9:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home