Saturday, February 16, 2008


It's still too early to tell if the bloom will be stellar at the Antelope Valley Poppy Reserve, but with the good rains this year so far, they are hoping for a nice covering of wild flowers. I didn't even know this State Park existed until today, but if Mother Nature comes through, I'd be willing to drive out to Lancaster to see the hills awash in color.
When I was in Yellowstone, I bought a naturalist's portfolio of field sketches of the native flora and fauna done in the 1910's - 1920's by Olaus J. Murie. The series (10 drawings) were framed and displayed throughout the Buffalo Ranch headquarters and were simply lovely. Unfortunately, I had no luck at the frame store finding the frames I wanted for the prints.
So the search continues . . .

3 Comments:

Blogger Auburn Kat said...

That looks really beautiful! It would defenitely be worth the trip! Thanks for the comment, I was having one of those days.

9:00 PM  
Blogger sage said...

I'm not sure where Lancaster or Antelope Valley is located (I should get out a map).

I've twice been to Death Valley when the flowers were in bloom--it's amazing. In a blog that I no longer use but is still up (where I use to put pics), there are shots from Death Valley from March 2005. If you get a chance, check it out: http://sagecoveredhillsphotos.blogspot.com

I wrote about the trip in this blog during that same period (at the time I didn't know how to place photos within text blogs!)

3:36 AM  
Blogger Diane said...

kat - no problem!

sage - Oh, I'll bet that was spectacular - with the super heavy rains we had in 2005, they had dormant flowers that rarely bloom in DV. Lancaster is the high desert, east and north of LA

7:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home