Thursday, March 27, 2008



My amaryllis is back, and with all those stalks to the right, it looks like a good year for my gladiola bulbs too.
I'm in the market for some happy, uplifting books. While the books I've been listening to on my iPod are good, they are definitely not happy. I recently completed The Colony - a history of the leper colony on Molokai, and then went straight into the Journey of Crazy Horse. (By the way, in the early 1980's, there was quite a bit of discussion about reviving the Colony, and sending AIDS victims to live there . . .).
Crazy Horse, is also a good book, but listening to tales of the American Cavalry gunning down villages of Lakota Sioux Indians isn't really a ton of fun. The only thing to look forward to is when that idiot George Custer loses the battle of Little Big Horn.
So, can anyone recommend some nice, light reading?


9 Comments:

Blogger Auburn Kat said...

I would suggest anything by Jennifer Weiner.

2:04 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

kat - I loved her Good in Bed - good choice!

2:19 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Your amaryllis is bea-u-ti-ful!!

2:43 PM  
Blogger EditThis said...

For really enjoyable light reading, try King Dork

4:17 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

karen - I"m so happy to have some flowers blooming!

edit - ok, that book looks great!

4:23 PM  
Blogger sage said...

The last light reading I did was your suggestion--another Carl Haissen (Double Wammy) Have you read any Edward Abbey--the Monkey Wrench Gang is funny in a similar sense... I'm currently listening to My Anthonia by Willa Cather on my ipod and reading several more technical things for for work

6:11 PM  
Blogger Princess in Galoshes said...

Have you read the His Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman? (The first one is The Golden Compass that they just made a movie of, recently.)

I love reverting to children's literature, when I want something satisfying without being TOO heavy.

7:59 PM  
Blogger Tiffany Norris said...

I agree that Carl Hiaasen is a good choice. I also like Mark Haddon. I think I've made my fondness for David Sedaris clear, but Ted Nancy's stuff is really funny, too.
Happy reading!

7:05 AM  
Blogger LA said...

Youth In Revolt by C.D. Payne.

The flowers are beautiful!

10:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home