Thursday, May 01, 2008

The view as I headed out the door to work this morning . . .





Hanna definitely does not suffer from separation anxiety.

Yesterday morning on my way into work I stopped at the drug store because:

1. My ancient, prehistoric blowdryer had blown it's last hot breath; and

2. I had a sinus headache.

First of all, let me just note that my new blowdryer (Vidal Sassoon!) cost 14.95, and dries my hair in about 1/4 the time of my old one. I've been known to spend money like a drunken sailor, but I can't buy a new appliance until the old one goes completely kaput. So, to save a few dollars, I've been wasting time every day using a blow dryer less effective than my old method of driving to work with the top down on my convertible. (I had to ditch this method in 2002 when I got my Hyundai Santa Fe).

Second, I am constantly amazed by the regulations one must comply with to acquire a box of Aleve Sinus Headache medicine. Besides being required to show my driver's license, I had to fill out a form with my name, address and signature. I don't need to do any of this to buy Vicodin, or a case of Tequila, but I do for an OTC medication.

Is methamphetamine abuse a problem? Absolutely. Is this bureaucracy solving the problem? No f-ing way.

And I can only imagine how many storm troopers will show up at my house if I try to acquire a second box of 12 too soon . . .


6 Comments:

Blogger kookla@work said...

That was like when I finally bought a new microwave. I didn't know they had ones with alarms, lights, special "popcorn" features and recipes.

I had no idea Aleve for Sinuses gets you lit. I'm stopping at Rite Aid on my way home!

3:30 PM  
Blogger M-M-M-Mishy said...

Kook: Boil it down in a bathtub and add some bleach and maybe a few other unstable chemicals and you've got yourself a fun little meth lab.

I recently invested in a new hairdryer. I spent at least 45 minutes in the aisle looking for the best one with the lowest cost. I use it everyday, but I wont pay over $20 for it.

Hi.

5:19 PM  
Blogger Auburn Kat said...

I am the sameway with certain things, I just refuse to spend money on it but on other things I have no issue spending tons on!

I am still a bit sick....I've been sick since NYC!

5:36 PM  
Blogger sage said...

Sorry about your sinus problems--it's that time of the year here--but the doc gives me a nose spray that works wonders and cost even more...

I like your old way of drying your hair... I'd like to have the need for a hair dryer :)

6:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. I had no idea you had to go through so much for sinus medicine. Last year, I got a perscrpition for a nasal spray and I figure it will hold me down for the year.

Hope your sinuses feel better. Mine have been bad all week and contributed to me losing my voice.

8:23 PM  
Blogger LA said...

Damn! Like Kookla, I'm going to go pick up some Aleve for Sinuses! Do you think pharmacist will be suspicious if I ask what other OTC drugs they have available behind the counter?

Yeah, those new ionic hairdryers are the absolute bomb. I feel vindicated for all those times in high school when it literally took me 30 minutes to dry my hair.

12:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home