Saturday, June 21, 2008

It can only get better from here . . .

I've mentioned before that I rarely, if ever, use an alarm clock. No need when you live with the canine alarm clock, Hanna. As soon as the sun peeks over the horizon, she's at the side of the bed nuzzling me to get up and get her breakfast. This time of year, that occurs somewhere between 5:20 and 5:30 a.m. In her defense, she tries to be patient, and will sometimes comply with my request that she "go lay down". But even when she does that, I can feel her eyes boring into the back of my head for the 5 minutes this respite lasts. I'm one of the few people that looks forward to shorter days.

With the temperature expected to be in the 90s today, getting up early has its advantages. Chores are taken care of before it gets too hot, and before the summer crowds make parking or getting out of town impossible. By 8:30 am we had gone for a walk, watered all the flowers, gone to the grocery store, gone to the drug store, picked up some Costa Rican coffee beans from Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf, gone to Nick's Deli for one of his world famous breakfast burritos, put on a pot of dog stew to simmer, and headed out to the front porch to enjoy the morning quiet.

Here we are sitting on the front porch. The sight of Hanna sitting next to me like a proud princess, and Noodles sitting on my lap usually draws a few comments from passers by . . .

11 Comments:

Blogger Tiffany Norris said...

Happy Saturday! I, too, have an early-rising dog with amazing staring capabilities. :)

10:53 AM  
Blogger LA said...

Damn, you really do get a lot done in the morning! It's almost 11, and I haven't even had my coffee yet.

BTW, have I ever told you that my sister feeds her dog between 3:00 and 4:00 a.m.? He used to get her up around 5:00, and she'd get up and start the day. But then he starting pushing his meal time little by little. She's weak and feeds him, so now he's eating in the middle of the night. Everyone goes back to sleep, and they get back up between 5-6 for the first morning walk and the rest of the day.

10:53 AM  
Blogger Diane said...

tiffany - tell Fred hello from Nanners, Noodles and me!

la - oh lordy, please don't let that be me.

11:10 AM  
Blogger sage said...

Those dogs look content. You must not have gotten out your suitcase for your next trip. :)

12:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You get a lot done on a Saturday. I do everything on Friday night because I usually designate Saturday as the day I catch up on my sleep. I didn't roll out of bed until about ten o'clock this morning.

I used to have a cat that woke me up at six o'clock in the morning every day. The ones I have now leave me alone.

7:05 PM  
Blogger maggie moran said...

I love it! We used to have a watch cat who liked to jump up on the bed with all her heaviness to wake us. Silly Kitty! :)

9:16 PM  
Blogger Prunella Jones said...

Shirley is a slacker. I got up at 8 this morning and she is still snoring away.

7:38 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

awwwww, cute pic.

2:27 PM  
Blogger Auburn Kat said...

That sounds like the perfect Saturday!

I'm sure if I was walking by and saw you with your dogs on your lap, I would stop and tell you how cute they were.

4:01 AM  
Blogger EditThis said...

If Wally woke me up that early...I don't know what I'd do with him.

1:46 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

During the wholesale pandora beads World War II, Art Deco jewellery was pandora silver beads a very popular style among women. The females started pandora glass beads wearing short dresses and cut their hair short. And cheap pandora beads such boyish style was accessorized with Art Deco jewellery. They used discount pandora beads long dangling earrings and necklaces, multiple bracelets and bold pandora beads sale rings.Art Deco jewellery has harshly geometric and symmetrical theme instead pandora earrings silver of free flowing curves and naturalistic motifs. Art Deco Jewelry pandora earrings sale today displays designs that consist of arcs, circles, rectangles, squares, and pandora sets triangles. Bracelets, earrings, necklaces and rings are added with long lines and curves.One cheap pandora sets example of Art Deco jewelry is the Art Deco new pandora bangles ring.Art Deco rings have sophisticated sparkle and bold styles. These rings are not intended for a subtle look, they are meant to be noticed. Hence, these are perfect for people with bold styles.

9:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home