Sunday, June 08, 2008


A photo of my flowers from this morning. Astromeria, (aka Peruvian Lilies), Nasturtiums, and a Hibiscus flower.
Did you watch the Belmont yesterday? Man, it would have been fun to a have a twenty on the longshot - who lead wire to wire and won going away with it. It was hot, it was humid, and Big Brown was just not in the mood to run. That is basically what it is like to try to get Hanna to walk in the mid-day sun. It doesn't do any good to get after her, you just take a break and rest in the shade.
The Governor of NY had a cool story - many years ago a possible Triple Crown winner was defeated by a horse that had been shod by his blacksmith grandfather. How amazing is it that in two generations his family had moved from the barn to the Governor's mansion for the state of NY?
A big bunch of us are in the office today working on the big project due tomorrow. The good news is that I'm listening to a book on my iPod, and there is good food available. I'm enjoying Friend of the Devil, by Peter Robinson, a Detective Alan Banks mystery. It ties in nicely with an older book by Robinson - in the newest book, an evil character from an earlier book gets her due.
One of my favorite tv shows is back tonight with a new episode - Law and Order - Criminal Intent. It's my favorite of the three L&O franchises.
With football season just around the corner Robster/CaliTejano and I have entered into a friendly wager over the new look Raiders - Rob is confident they will finish over .500, I am sure they will finish below .500. The winner gets a gift certificate to Barnes and Noble.
The other good news is that in 17 days, I'll be back in NYC, this time with my 19 year old niece. Hopefully, the brutal heat wave they are currently suffering with will be long gone by then. (Yes, with my usual careful planning, I have managed to pack a year's worth of vacation into a 6 week span).
Gotta run - the Angels' game is starting!

9 Comments:

Blogger Auburn Kat said...

The weather has been just wonderful here lately! I hope that it does cool off in NYC before you get there!

4:03 PM  
Blogger sage said...

I didn't watch TV yesterday, I was part of the multitude in our state doing out part to really conserve electricity--by going without. (not by choice, less you think I'm a real tree hugger)

You'll be in NYC about the time I'll be in San Francisco

10:08 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

ya had bbc freaked out thinkin' you were voting Republican. :o)

Pre-tty flowers.

8:01 PM  
Blogger Princess in Galoshes said...

Have fun in NY...

meanwhile I think I might cry over the fact that I could have been boozing it up all weekend....

8:28 PM  
Blogger GetFlix said...

It has been brutal here in the Northeast!! (The major factor being the humidity.)

9:23 PM  
Blogger Jack K. said...

I love your flower photos. There is something about their beauty that helps make anyone's day just about perfect. Thanks for sharing.

I zipped over from Karen's site. Glad I did. I'll be back from time to time.

8:27 AM  
Blogger Maryannwrites said...

What a gorgeous picture of your flowers. Seeing them first thing in the morning must start your day on a good note. I know how much I enjoy going outside with my first cup of coffee and checking on my flower gardens.

9:15 AM  
Blogger LA said...

I'm jealous that you have a summer television show to watch! I won't have anything until very late July when Mad Men comes back (although the DVD drops July 1, so I'll have a few weeks to rewatch season 1).

Did you pick up the Sedaris book yet? I'm laughing my way through it, it's a real treat.

9:31 PM  
Blogger Prunella Jones said...

Hey, I'll be in California at the end of July. Maybe we can get together for lunch?

Love the flowers.

3:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home