Friday, July 18, 2008



I saw the Dark Knight today, and it is very, very cool. The action sequences are simply phenomenal, and the actors are across the board excellent. The star of the movie is definitely Heath Ledger as the Joker. He's pretty much unrecognizable with the strange mannerisms, heavy make up and nasally voice covering up his good looks and Aussie accent. Compare this performance with the quiet cowboy in Brokeback Mountain, or the tortured soul in Monster's Ball, and you realize how great an actor he truly was.

Christian Bale is the best Batman to come down the pike in a very long time. It took me many years and many movies to get past thinking of him as the American Psycho, but now I think he's sexy as all hell as both Batman and Bruce Wayne. I loved Gary Oldman, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Eric Roberts, Anthony Michael Hall, Aaron Eckhart, Morgan Freeman and Michael Caine.

The movie is 2 1/2 hours long, but I never checked my watch once. The plot is more or less irrelevant, since all that matters is the the hunt for the Joker, and the Joker's hunt for the Batman. I also liked that the violence is kept to a PG13 level, but look for the disappearing pencil trick.

Oh, and the previews for the new James Bond look off the charts!

8 Comments:

Blogger Karen said...

"tortured soul"

wonder if that is what contributed to his death?

5:57 PM  
Blogger GetFlix said...

I can't wait!! This is the must-see summer flick!!

And the girlfriend wants to go, too! (Which is unusual for anything that is not romantic.)

6:38 PM  
Blogger LA said...

I agree with Flix that this is the must-see film of the summer.

Diane - a couple questions:
1) Do you think Ledger is a contender for posthumous Oscar love? If so, is he the lead or a supporting actor?

2) How full was the theater and at what time of day?

I wonder if my mom would want to see this.

8:07 PM  
Blogger M-M-M-Mishy said...

Was Maggie Gyllenhaal a smart recast for Katie Holmes? I thought she ruined the first one.

8:34 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

karen - it's sad he won't make any more films

flix - I hope u like it!

la - I do think it is Oscar worthy, and I think it'd be for supporting actor. He is really good. And I think Johnny Depp has opened up the door for some quirky performances being acknowledged.

I went to Bella Terra at 11 am, and it was probably 80 percent full. They must have it showing in 4 theaters b/c they have one starting every 40 minutes.

mishy - Maggie is a big improvement! she has a lot more substance than Katie.

9:04 PM  
Blogger sage said...

This sounds like a good film to see in the theaters--an escape from heat and mosquitoes

7:12 AM  
Blogger LA said...

http://www.usmagazine.com/dark-knight-delivers-best-opening-day-gross-ever

The Dark Knight is killing at the box office!

10:01 AM  
Blogger prettykitty said...

my only complaint? gary oldman. i want more gary oldman!!

2:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home