Friday, July 18, 2008

I'm exhausted. And this is to blame . . .


The last few summers, I have been stalked at night by a single, annoying, relentless, mosquito. This results in me spending an hour or two listening to the irritating buzzing noise until it stops at which time I flail my arms and rub my face to hopefully dislodge it from wherever it has alighted. If I could be guaranteed that: it wouldn't bite me in the face; and it would die a horrible death after sucking my blood, I'd let it do its dirty work.
At 2:40 am I finally got up and sprayed myself from head to toe in Deet laden bug spray and went back to bed thinking that at this point, I could have gone to a midnight showing of The Dark Knight and gotten just as much sleep. If I thought they'd let me into the theater in my jammies and with a big blanket, I probably would have gone.
I don't know where the skeeter comes from. As far as I know there are no pools of standing water anywhere except by bird bath and I empty it and re-fill it every day.

All I know is that Noah missed his opportunity.

7 Comments:

Blogger sage said...

occassionally there is a mosquito in the house and I hate waking to the sound of buzzing... but it sounds like you have a ghost mosquito--that lives forever!

When hiking on Isle Royale (I need to do a post to prepare Maggie), there was one morning that my bivy sack netting had so many mosquitoes buzzing that I couldn't hear the waves breaking 50 feet away--it was like waking to a nightmare--getting out was also a trick as I quickly got clothes and repellant on.

8:02 AM  
Blogger LA said...

That's why they're called "bugs."

11:23 AM  
Blogger Ryan said...

West Nile is out to get you Diane.

Are your dogs on heartworm prevention?

11:33 AM  
Blogger Ryan said...

Oh and I knew about Ron Paul and his awesomeness.

11:34 AM  
Blogger Prunella Jones said...

I got biten by an ant or something two weeks ago and the itching nearly drove me mad. It got really big and swollen and concerned me enough that I nearly went to the doctor. Instead I dropped my pants (it was on my thigh next to my hoo hah) and showed it to a pharmacist who sold me some anti itch cream. Finally, it's starting to heal up and go away.

The moral of the story is: there are a lot of bitey insects in Tenessee.

PS I'm leaving for Riverside tommorrow! I'll email you when I get to LA.

3:10 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

was just saying to hubby today that we haven't had very many mosquitoes since we built our house here seven years ago. I hate the nasty little things but wonder if this is a bad sign.

we have lots of those pesky deer flies, tho, and can they ever bite!

6:01 PM  
Blogger GetFlix said...

Har, I kill about six everyday!! (I can't figure out how they get in.)

6:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home