Sunday, July 13, 2008

Mid-day Sunday report card:





Saturday's To-do list update -





walk - eh - just enough to keep the dogs happy - planning to try for a longer walk this afternoon


gym - nope


bike - nada


movies - Michael Clayton, and half of Eastern Promises (the sad, sad, pitiful truth is that I turned it off about 11 pm knowing we'd be up at 5:30 am today)


knit - making decent progress on my sweater


mani/pedi - Yes! my toes and fingers look beeyooteeful!


Em's photos (I told my niece I'd get her photos from NYC printed up) - done! (oh, and while I was waiting for the one hour photo to finish, I had some yummy fish and chips and beer at the sports bar next door)


beach - nah - a bit cool and windy


read - yes! on the back deck where it is less cool and windy


go to the office to pick up files to work at home on Monday - the girls and I made that trek this morning



red velvet cupcakes - got the ingredients! (and also picked up the ingredients for some thai chicken [marinating] with a spicy peanut sauce - done!)




One of my favorite groups on Ravelry is Knitters for Obama.

(KFO has 1889 members - while the McCain Ravelry group has 165 members - take that John!). Because there are members from all over the country (and all over the world), it's interesting to read about the political climate in all parts of the country. But what is amazing to me is how involved these (mostly) women are in the political process on a grassroots level, but also the creative ways they find to contribute. For instance, one knitter - who lives in Canada - has found a way to contribute to the campaign - if you donate 10 dollars to the Obama campaign (and then send her the confirmation), she gives you 10 dollars off her new colorway - "Tides of Change". I made my contribution, bought my discounted skein, and plan to use it to knit up a cool pair of socks!


There is also a very organized group within Knitters for Obama gathering knitted items (hats, scarfs, mittens), to donate to shelters caring for homeless veterans around the country. I'm hoping to contribute a hat or scarf or two to his worthwhile endeavor.

I hope your weekend has been nice, too!

11 Comments:

Blogger D.O.M. Dan said...

"a bit cool and windy" at the beach. That's our Southern Califoria weather for you. I'm about 15-20 miles from the beach, and it's hot and humid here (both yesterday and today).

By the way, I'm looking, but have not seen any knitters on the bus. Not any at all, whether they're for Obama or McCain. I'll let you and LA know the moment I see one.

5:32 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

dan - I cannot tell u how much I admire your commitment to taking the bus. And we await your knitting update!

5:53 PM  
Blogger sage said...

I never thought of knitting as a political activity! lol

8:03 PM  
Blogger sage said...

I thought you might enjoy this Onion video--in Karen's "style"

http://www.theonion.com/content/video/bush_tours_america_to_survey

8:39 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

sage - oh yeah - there are the "Knitting Grannies" who have knit ins to protest the war! I'll check out the Onion piece!

9:08 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

sage - that video is a hoot!

9:13 PM  
Blogger LA said...

Sage - There's a whole "Knitting for Peace" movement including a book by the same name.


http://www.amazon.com/Knitting-Peace-World-Better-Stitch/dp/1584795336

Dan - Keep us posted on the bus-riding knitters! I hear there are some on the blue line.

11:40 PM  
Blogger Leo Tolstoy said...

Did you see this?? Unbelievable:


http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7505953.stm

12:25 PM  
Blogger Prunella Jones said...

This weekend was horribly hot and humid here. Ick.

I love the Knitters for Obama!

4:26 PM  
Blogger Auburn Kat said...

I didn't make it to the gym this weekend or today. Oh well, at least I'm not snacking constantly on brownies anymore...I guess that's a step in the right direction.

5:36 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

"Knitters for Obama"

Love it!

7:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home