Tuesday, August 05, 2008



Alright, enough of the downer post from earlier. I'm back on happy topics, like my pretty orange hibiscus!




When I did my grocery shopping last weekend, I went a bit light, taking into account that one of the bosses would likely bring food in every day to keep his minions happy, and to avoid us losing that hour of work should we go out for a meal. (We have a big project due next Monday). You can imagine my chagrine when nothing was brought in yesterday, and so, I bought chicken parmigiano from the gal who comes to the office with a huge stack of coolers and all kinds of good meals to buy.


I was pounding through the NY Times Crossword (sounds good until you remember that it was Monday's crossword), and so I ate the entire meal. I spent the rest of the day thinking that bulimia doesn't really sound like such a bad idea - in theory. I got up this morning resolved to do better. I brought a healthy lunch - diced pineapple, an Amy's spinach feta frozen pocket thing, and the makings for a lovely caprese salad.


In fact, I brought the fixings for lunches all week.


So, at 11 am I learn that lunch had already been ordered, and it turns out the 21 year old file clerk who did the ordering is no dummy. Sure, they brought in sandwiches, salad, chips and sodas, but also this huge box of desserts. And I can personally testify as to how good the pecan pie bars are.


Now I remember why I decided to wait until after next Monday to visit Jenny Craig.


And in the crazy department . . .


"The loss of Booger the pit bull terrier was almost more than Bernann McKinney could bear.
Now she is happy, minus $50,000 and her house, and owner of five cloned Booger puppies.
They are the work of the biotech firm RNL Bio, affiliated with the South Korean lab which produced the world's first cloned dog and is staffed with former associates of disgraced scientist Hwang Woo-suk. She sold her house in the United States to raise the $50,000 for RNL scientists to turn skin cells taken from Booger before he died two years ago into embryos carried by two surrogate dogs for two months until giving birth to the puppies last week."

"'I had to make sacrifices and I dream of the day, some day when everyone can afford to clone their pet because losing a pet is a terrible, terrible loss to anyone.' After rescuing him from a shelter 12 years ago, Booger had become an indispensable part of her life, said the 57-year-old Californian."

I'm sure the 20,000 pit bulls sitting in shelters across the state desperately hoping to find a home are very happy for her. Oh, and now that she's sold her home, good luck finding a landlord who will let her raise 5 pit bull puppies in an apartment.

I don't think anyone doubts that I love me some Nanners and Noodles, but when they pass, I don't intend to have them cloned. I do, however, intend to have them cremated so that when I am cremated, their ashes (along with the ashes from Bailey, aka Big Fat Kitty) can be mixed with mine into an Eternal Reef.

8 Comments:

Blogger EditThis said...

Um...creepy. You all know I love Wally more than anything, but part of having a pet is getting to know their unique personality. When Wally is gone, I'll get another one, who will be his own unique self.

7:07 PM  
Blogger Auburn Kat said...

Awww, that is sweet about having them cremated!

That lady is definitely creepy! You are absolutely right about all of the other animals that need homes!

My diet has NOT been going good at all and next week I'm on vacation AND it's my bday so we both know I will not be eating healthy at all!

7:38 PM  
Blogger Tiffany Norris said...

That really freaks me out!

6:55 AM  
Blogger LA said...

I'm sure the 20,000 pit bulls sitting in shelters across the state desperately hoping to find a home are very happy for her. Oh, and now that she's sold her home, good luck finding a landlord who will let her raise 5 pit bull puppies in an apartment.

Agree whole-heartedly. New rule: People who name their dogs "Booger" shouldn't be allowed to clone them.

5:50 PM  
Blogger sage said...

Enjoy the desserts this week! It seems to me that the cloning of our pets is just another attempt for humans to attempt to enter the realm of the divine--which always fails according to Genesis and mythology.

4:30 AM  
Blogger Prunella Jones said...

I thought that was a pic of Sylvia Browne the psychic at first.

I loved meeting your dogs! They are adorable but you are right, cloning is too freakin Stephen King.

8:14 AM  
Blogger Ryan said...

At first I thought she was a crazy loon.

However, Booger had jumped in saved her when she was being attacked by two other dogs, both bigger than Booger.. I think she wound up losing an arm or a leg.

Somehow without being trained to, Booger would help her take off her shoes and socks, and get her things she needed.

After I read all this my opinion of her changed. I now think she is a crazy loon who should be cut a little slack.

10:04 AM  
Blogger LA said...

Did you see this?

http://dlisted.com/node/27618

3:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home