Friday, August 29, 2008

It's been an interesting week . . .


I spent a good part of Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday evening watching the DNC, drinking pinot grigio, and live blogging with Knitters for Obama. It's actually been alot of fun. As a democrat growing up and living in Orange County, I've always had to look elsewhere to find like-minded people, and blogging has been a great way to connect with my fellow Dems.


I thought most of the headline speakers did amazing jobs - Michelle Obama, Hillary and Bill Clinton, John Kerry, Al Gore, Joe Biden, and of course, Barack Obama.


Since my life motto is expect the worst and hope for the best, I'm cautiously optimistic about the election.


McCain's pick for VP was an interesting and rather odd choice. If I was a qualified GOP woman, like Elizabeth Dole or Kay Hutchinson, I'd be pissed. While many women, myself included, are pleased to see a woman nominee, picking the inexperienced beauty queen for the second highest office in the land is a slap in the face of women who have worked long and hard to get where they are today. But I think what I find most insulting is that I believe McCain thinks picking any woman would do, and that female voters would flock to him regardless of the nominee's views or qualifications.


Mother Nature may get the last laugh over the GOP and its refusal to acknowledge global warming, when the GOP muckymucks abandon the convention next week to pretend they care about New Orleans drowning . . . again.


Hanna visited the vet today for a suture check and to have some fluid drained. She's getting her piss and vinegar back, and the surgeon referred to her as Super Dog. Here she is reflected in my rear view mirror as we drive back from the vet's.

5 Comments:

Blogger LA said...

Palin's husband works for British Petroleum/ARCO and as governor of Alaska, she's been a good friend to the interests of Big Oil, so she's the perfect pick for "more of the same." In fact, I bet she was hand-chosen by GW himself.

Adorable picture of Super Dog!

9:28 PM  
Blogger sage said...

I spent the last couple of days on the beach (well, make that Lake Michigan) with only a radio, so I didn't stay tuned to everything that was happening and mostly heard via NPR. However, I found it interesting that Obama picked a "safe" VP and McCain a "risking" one. Of course, she's got oil interest at heart, she's from Alaska and you don't bite the hand that feeds you (unless you're a gerbil). It'll be interested to watch the campaign go forward.

One of the interesting NPR stories was how Palin's Wikipedia entry was significantly changed in the 24hours before the announcement, toning down her beauty queen past and the question about her potentially having a role in the firing of her ex-brother-in-law who was a state trooper.

5:12 AM  
Blogger EditThis said...

Tell me you weren't actually driving when you took that?

Also...did you say "Knitters for Obama"?

I'm the same as you...I feel pretty beaten down by the Republicans who have maintained office most of my adult like, with the exception of the 8 years Clinton spent in office. Every election, I say if another Rebublican gets elected, I'm moving to Canada. I've already volunteered to open an office for my company in Vancouver.

3:45 PM  
Blogger Auburn Kat said...

She is SO cute! Glad to hear that she is feeling better.

I felt like I got slapped in the face by McCain's pick. Seriously, was he thinking that women are that naive?!?

11:21 AM  
Blogger Tiffany Norris said...

Yeah, I'm with you on Palin. That sealed my decision to NOT vote for McCain this fall. Still not 100% on board with Obama (sorry), but I won't be voting McCain.

6:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home