Saturday, September 27, 2008

It's past my bedtime . . . somewhere.


I'm having one of those U.S. Army days. You know, the ones where "we do more before 9 am than most people do all day?"


It's 12:05 pm here, and I'm ready for a nap.
We got up a little before 6 am, had coffee (me) and dog stew (N&N), and then went for a walk. Then I headed off for my 7:30 am appointment at Jenny Craig. Today was my 4th different consultant, (I keep going in at different times and days), and may be the one I'll seek out again.


After Jenny Craig, I headed over to the drug store to pick up some benadryl and pepcid for Hanna. These are the drugs she gets daily in addition to the prednisone. Mast cell tumors, like she has, spread by sending out histamines. Hence, these anti-histamines help limit the spread of the cancer. I also picked up some Aveeno cleanser and moisturizer. I like Aveeno, but more importantly, it was about the only brand that wasn't under lock and key. Sorry, but I'm not flagging down a sales clerk at 7:45 am to buy Oil of Olay.


I brought home my Jenny Craig food and headed over to the mechanic to drop off my car to get what I figure is the alignment fixed. As it turns out, one tire was about to shred, and my power steering hose is leaking. I suppose I can't complain when my 60,000 mile tires lasted 85,000 miles, but I'm getting a new set today.
From there I walked across the street to the Daily Grind for a Mocha coffee, and then to the nail salon for a manicure/pedicure. After that I went to the grocery store to pick up the fixings for dog stew, and then walked home a couple of miles.


Walking along Pacific Coast Highway, I mainly encountered bicyclists riding towards me, many of whom smiled as they passed by. I discovered why when I got home, ran into my brother and found out I had a big dirt mark down the middle of my forehead.


Got home, took a bath and rode my bike to the local pub to put in my football pool picks. Went early to avoid Mr. Clueless, had a beer and came home.


Now I sit here, ready to head back to bed. Hanna is enjoying her bone, and Sam is happy sitting next to me, and I'm done for the day. I think I'll try to get a lift back to the mechanic later.


And I have to express my sorrow at the passing of Paul Newman. There is no public figure that I admire more than Newman. A liberal icon who bragged that one of his proudest accomplishments was getting on Nixon's enemies list, who brought good from tragedy when he set up a foundation in his late son's name to help those struggling with substance abuse, who donated millions of dollars to good works through his Newman's Own line of products, who starred in some of my favorite movies, and who was the best looking man around at every decade of his life.

I hope he rests in peace.

12 Comments:

Blogger EditThis said...

First off, stop doing so much - you're making the rest of us look bad! Secondly, RIP Paul Newman...he was a great man as well as a great actor. Once Redford goes, there won't be anyone else worth paying attention to. It looks like Hanna is looking good, though. Me and the pups are sending good thoughts her way.

1:00 PM  
Blogger Auburn Kat said...

You have had quite the productive day...alot more productive than mine, and you are in a later time zone!

1:42 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

Not to brag, but I also managed to work in yelling at two blondes in a BMW to slow down as they were driving too fast, and N&N and I were crossing the street.

1:49 PM  
Blogger sage said...

Wow, I thought I was busy today! Newman will be missed! I may have to write a post about him... Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid and Cool Hand Luke rank up there as two of my favorite movies and I'm sure there are two or three bottles of his salad dressing in the frig.

2:13 PM  
Blogger D.O.M. Dan said...

I can relate to the Army days. That's me almost every Saturday. Always an errand or chore on top of some activity involving either or both of my kids. And weaving in between these things is work that I bring home.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend, and I hope you do well on your football picks.

6:44 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid was my favorite Paul Newman movie. He willed be missed.

RIP Paul.

10:10 AM  
Blogger LA said...

Wow, that is a busy day!

Your thoughts on Paul Newman run along the same lines as mine. Of course, I enjoyed his work on the silver screen, but I was even more impressed by his philanthropy and humility.

Do the antihistamines make Hanna sleepy?

5:59 PM  
Blogger GetFlix said...

It sounds like a normal, yet busy day. Paul Newman was a very cool person. I am with Sage, as there are numerous bottles of his dressing in my fridge. Great man.

(We have a football flat tire here in New England.)

8:09 PM  
Blogger maggie moran said...

Hanna is looking so much better now! :D

4:24 AM  
Blogger Ryan said...

I would like to say that I have always been strongly anti-histamine.

7:06 AM  
Blogger Tiffany Norris said...

Your weekend puts mine to shame! I did homework and watched football. :)
And I was so sad to hear about Paul Newman, too. What a guy!

10:35 AM  
Blogger M-M-M-Mishy said...

I'm always impressed with people who do things. I, on the other hand, avoid doing things at all costs.

Hanna seems to be looking well!

7:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home