Monday, October 27, 2008






I've ranted and raved many times on this blog about my slightly obsessive affection for the HBO tv show The Wire. Sure, I think it is the best tv show ever, but it also is the show that keeps on giving. While I was re-watching the early seasons, I notice that Detective Bunk Moreland was reading a mystery novel by Laura Lippman. Since this was a pretty obvious placement, I was intrigued enough to look her up, and lo and behold, she is the wife of David Chase, the show's creator. I just finished listening to her novel, What the Dead Know, and I have to say, I didn't see the twist coming - at all.



The story line is as follows:


Thirty years ago two sisters disappeared from a shopping mall. Their bodies were never found and those familiar with the case have always been tortured by these questions: How do you kidnap two girls? Who—or what—could have lured the two sisters away from a busy mall on a Saturday afternoon without leaving behind a single clue or witness?


Now a clearly disoriented woman involved in a rush-hour hit-and-run claims to be the younger of the long-gone Bethany sisters. But her involuntary admission and subsequent attempt to stonewall investigators only deepens the mystery. Where has she been? Why has she waited so long to come forward? Could her abductor truly be a beloved Baltimore cop?


I don't want to give anything away, but if there are any fellow mystery lovers out there, give this one a read!


Oh, and today I read that most of the cast of the Wire is campaigning for Obama in North Carolina today - Obama '08!!!!


Last weekend's round up -



  • Jenny Craig weigh in - down 7.6 pounds

  • walked 5 miles Saturday

  • stopped in the pub for my football picks

  • drank two beers

  • joined in on the discussion about how outraged we all get by "Yes on 8" signs and bumperstickers

  • took a nap on the couch with Sam

  • did 5 miles on Sunday, and added in a few bouts of running

  • went to Hennessey's for my new favorite salad

  • went to Michael's to buy supplies for holiday crafting

  • worked on my Monkey socks

  • caught up on some dvr'd shows

How was your weekend?


15 Comments:

Blogger Prunella Jones said...

That book sounds intriguing.

My weekend was busy, but not in a fun way. Just busy.

4:54 PM  
Blogger EditThis said...

Stop doing so much! You make the rest of us look bad!

I, too, was annoyed by the Yes on 8 people flocking to the street corners yesterday. They saw a lot of my middle finger, I must admit.

5:31 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

pru - I really liked it

edit - the trick is to break down everything into minute bits and pieces to make my day's activities look more impressive. Sounds better than "drank beer, watched tv"

5:36 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

7.6 lbs. down... WOW!

Since this day's almost over, at least here in Michigan ~ 7 days to go 'til election!!

5:47 PM  
Blogger sage said...

My weekend was busy! But I took time to go see "W" which I may write about if I get time. What's 8?

6:22 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

karen - thanks!

sage - its the proposition to amend the state constitution to ban gay marriage. The Yes on 8brigade is largely underwritten by the Mormon Church to the tune of some 23 million dollars.

6:57 PM  
Blogger Princess in Galoshes said...

I've borrowed The Wire again. I'm totally watching it when I get home.

8:04 PM  
Blogger Ryan said...

I'm not sure I could lose 7.6 pounds without resorting to cutting off a foot. Excellent work.

6:34 AM  
Blogger Tiffany Norris said...

I'm not a big mystery reader, but that book sounds really good!
Glad you had a nice weekend. Mine was spent watching football and reading. Not bad at all. :)

6:43 AM  
Blogger Jack K. said...

Congratulations on your taking charge of your life and working on staying in shape. 7.6 pounds is a great achievement. Keep up you good work.

Our weekend was very windy.

I reckon I'll have to give that book a read.

I'm in the middle of reading a LeCarre mystery, "A Most Wanted Man" A good read, but LeCarre does keep you on your toes. It is difficult to keep up with all of the characters, particularly when some of them use aliases.

Make it a good week.

Looks like Sam is resting well.

8:26 AM  
Blogger Diane said...

princess - I love that show!

ryan - how did you guess how I did it?

tiffany - it's one of the better mysteries I've read lately

jack - I LOVE LeCarre! I have that book at home and hope to get to it soon.

9:46 AM  
Blogger LA said...

Is that the same David Chase of The Sopranos fame? Or am I confusing show creators?

The Yes on 8 signs make me see red. Why would anyone be against denying their fellow Americans any civil liberty that they themselves enjoy? Do they want to go back to the days where women and blacks couldn't vote? Because a yes vote on 8 is a big step in that direction. It's maddening.

12:25 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

la - whoops! David Simon, I mean . . .

12:32 PM  
Blogger GetFlix said...

What is Question 8 about? There is a question here to eliminate the state income tax.

7:06 PM  
Blogger Auburn Kat said...

Congrats on the weight loss!!!

4:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home