Wednesday, October 15, 2008


New Orleans turned out to be fun, overall. My camera wasn't working, so I don't have much in the way of photos, except for a few that I took with my iPhone.
Things were looking a bit bleak when we spent the first night there on Bourbon Street in the world's loudest night club, and Gal in Charge insisted on taking photos of all of us at every bar and restaurant that we wandered into. After an hour or so at the night club, I just moved to the front of the club where I could sit in a chair with a back, play with my iPhone, and watch the baseball playoffs on the tvs.
The rest of the trip was pretty smooth sailing after that - I just kind of did my own thing. There were five of us - two that just wanted to party hardy on Bourbon Street, two of us that preferred to find things unique to New Orleans - like checking out some jazz clubs - and one gal that split her time between the two rival factions. I had a lot of fun at the Spotted Cat jazz club and the Preservation Hall.
Since I was generally home pretty early, I'd get up earlier than the rest of the group in the morning and head over by myself to Cafe du Monde for coffee and beignets. I'm just not use to spending that much time with other people, so I loved my alone time.A couple of hours later, I'd hook up with the others. They'd be hungry for lunch, and look askance at me when I'd order a Bloody Mary.
We did get our palms read by Phil at The House of Voodoo,
And we took a carriage ride to check out some local sights. It's hard to tell, but the mule is wearing a New Orleans Saints hat. Did I mention that the Oakland Raiders were in town to play the Saints? And that the town, and our plane there, were chocked full of Raiders fans? Who knew so many of them are permitted to cross state lines.

The last day we visited the oldest cemetery in New Orleans - all the graves are above ground. I'm not sure why the people in this statue are all headless.I did get to sample a crawfish poboy, a muffaletta, gumbo, red beans and rice, daiquiris, and raw oysters. We also had a wonderful steak dinner at the Orleans Grapevine. We also took the ferry to Algiers, and the streetcar to the Garden District.

So, while I probably won't join them again next year, I did enjoy myself, and enjoyed the City of New Orleans.

13 Comments:

Blogger Ryan said...

I have no idea what is in that first picture, but I want to eat 9 of them.

Glad it turned out so well!

9:08 AM  
Blogger Princess in Galoshes said...

I'm so glad you had fun, overall. I really want to go to New Orleans someday, but I am not the party-hardy type like your friends. I also like staying in nice hotels. I feel like New Orleans is just one of those places you need to get to in a lifetime.

9:15 AM  
Blogger Prunella Jones said...

Wow, am I ever craving coffee and pastries now. That photo looked yummy.

Sounds like a fun trip. I'd love to tour that cemetary.

9:31 AM  
Blogger Diane said...

ryan - they are beignets, and they are really good!

princess - there are a lot of nice hotels there. The hotel we stayed in was not fancy, but pretty nice, and was inexpensive and centrally located - they do, however, have a Ritz Carlton there too.

Pru - it was cool. Marie Leveau - the voodoo lady is buried there too. There was a guy there who claimed to be the groundskeeper who gave us a tour.

9:40 AM  
Blogger EditThis said...

I love the Garden District. I'm glad you got a chance to see it. I'd like to go back to N.O. I haven't been since I got sober and my memories of it are pretty hazy.

6:34 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

edit - while I definitely enjoyed a good bloody mary and a good daiquiri, there is a lot to see and do there that doesn't require drinking. I never was drunk while I was there. I really would like to go on a ghost tour! And bourbon street is the worst part of the city. well, except for the country's oldest bar - lafitte's - open since 1762. at night it is lit by candles.

7:45 PM  
Blogger sage said...

Glad your back and had a reasonably good time... what did the palm reader say? ;)

8:43 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

sage - I'll live a long, healthy life. his least incisive comment was that I used to have dark hair . . .

no s@#t, sherlock!

8:59 PM  
Blogger Auburn Kat said...

Good for you for doing what you wanted to do on your trip!

BTW, YES I do get to see giraffes on my commute home from work. I drive by the zoo and usually when I'm on my way home, it's feeding time for them, so I can see their heads above the fence as I drive by. It's one of my favorite parts of my day!

4:00 AM  
Blogger sage said...

Sorry, I probably shouldn't go here, but it sounds like he looking at your hair roots and not your palms!

4:13 AM  
Blogger Tiffany Norris said...

1. Glad you're back!
2. Preservation Hall rocks.
3. Beignets and coffee for breakfast...Bloody Mary and crawfish poboy for lunch? We are kindred spirits. :)

6:36 AM  
Blogger LA said...

I need to find a place in the LBC that serves beignets, because those look delicious.

It sounds like the trip was much better than expected! Love that the mule was wearing a Saints hat, hilarious!

Did you get to hear a lot of great live music? How was the humidity?

7:36 AM  
Blogger Diane said...

kat - my downstairs neighbor loves giraffes, so he has a wood giraffe in his window - but that's not as cool as seeing them for real!

sage - ha! he did also say that I would find romance, but wouldn't marry, though we'd live together.

tiffany - I think you are right!

la - they are good, and are served hot. We did see some cool live music - alot of jazz, some R&B, and just some funky stuff - it was fun.

1:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home