Wednesday, November 05, 2008

It's a new day dawning in America, and around the world . . . (taken from my window this morning)
I was first eligible to vote in 1979. In 28 years of voting, only two of the candidates I supported have prevailed - Bill Clinton and Barack Obama. I believe Clinton was a good president, and I hope that Obama will be a great one. I delight in seeing our position in the international community improve. I'm relieved to find a man with a healthy respect for the Constitution in a position to appoint Supreme Court justices. I'm hopeful we'll move towards green energy, and a respect for the planet.

There is no doubt that Obama ran an amazing campaign, and that he energized millions of people to join in the process. I personally participated more in this election than I ever have before. Obama's campaign was a thing of beauty to perceive - organized from the ground up, while fully utilizing the internet and other modern technical advances. I even have an Obama iPhone application that allowed me to access his position on the issues, and alerted me to campaign events in my area.

I also sincerely hope that the Republican party takes a long, hard look at themselves, and decides to get back to its roots, and to move away from the far right. If McCain had run as a moderate, I think he might have prevailed. Instead, he opted to sell his soul to the far right, ran his campaign on hate and fear, and in doing so, he alienated a large part of the country. He also put all his eggs in the "Victory in Iraq" basket, and fumbled with his response to the economic meltdown.

While no one applauds abortion, most Americans do not want to see Roe v. Wade overturned - strict anti-abortion propositions were defeated in South Dakota and Colorado, and it appears that a parental notification proposition in California was defeated for the 3rd time in 4 years. I'm disappointed that it appears that Proposition 8 likely passed in California, but I take heart that it passed narrowly.

I've repeatedly blogged about my involvement with Knitters for Obama - now more than 4,000 members strong. We raised over $32,000 for the general election, and delivered more than 2,000 knitted items to homeless veterans around the country. I'm delighted to have been a part of this amazing group.

While I've generally avoided reading the conversation threads at Knitters for McCain (with approximately 600 members), I took a peek this morning and found it disturbing. The primary conversation involved their hope that the Supreme Court will nullify the election because, as everyone knows, Obama is not really an American citizen. (I also read in the Orange County Register that 1/3 of Orange County Republicans believe that Obama is not a citizen). The response to the death of Obama's grandmother was to chastize him for not being the man McCain is, and not suspending his campaign in response to her passing.

I sincerely hope the GOP reclaims its mantle of being in favor of limited government and fiscally conservative - I think those are valid positions that need to be considered for our country to thrive. I hope the GOP disclaims the part of the party running on hate and fear.

15 Comments:

Blogger sage said...

Nicely written! I agree, the GOP does need to get back to its roots. It was good to see Dole defeated in NC--maybe Jesse's ghost (Helms) is now blown out to sea. He was a master at hate politics. I left the GOP in the 2000 elections, to support John Anderson's third party candidacy and have never looked back.

I am anxiously waiting to see who Obama choses for his team--and I hope that (unlike Bush) he keeps his promise of working with both sides of the aisle

7:50 AM  
Blogger Diane said...

sage - thanks! I agree about Dole and I honestly believe that Obama will be a consensus builder.

8:05 AM  
Blogger EditThis said...

Clinton and Obama are also the only two presidential candidates I've voted for who have one. I can't even convey how I felt last night to discover Obama has not only won, but that the election hadn't been close at all.

The comments by the Knitters for McCain are disturbing. Not an American citizen? WTF is wrong with people?

8:10 AM  
Blogger Leo Tolstoy said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

8:37 AM  
Blogger sage said...

I should have said, I left the GOP in the 1980 elections, when I was working for John Anderson's 3rd Party bid--my first election was 1976 (it really doesn't seem that long ago!)

8:38 AM  
Blogger Leo Tolstoy said...

Exactly Diane. I have to say, both speeches from Obama and McCain were great. Obama's was absolutely incredible.(Read the full text here):
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/us_elections_2008/7710038.stm

Watching McCain deliver his speech, it seems he found his way back to the McCain many people admire and respect.

I anxiously await the choices of President Obama's cabinet, I have great optimisim that this country is back on the positive track, for it's citizens and for it's standing in the world.

Oh yeah, and I believe that basically, humans are good, and love always overcomes hate. Spread the love.

8:41 AM  
Blogger Leo Tolstoy said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

9:06 AM  
Blogger Leo Tolstoy said...

Ooops, here is the link:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/us_elections_2008/7710038.stm

9:08 AM  
Blogger Prunella Jones said...

I'm so very pleased today. I feel like we are finally, finally getting back on the right path.

12:18 PM  
Blogger LA said...

Bravo, Diane. I concur with every word you wrote.

I thought McCain's concession speech was excellent, but I couldn't believe my ears when his supporters actually booed when McCain mentioned Barack. Obama is the president-elect of the United States, and I guarantee the "booers" consider themselves "patriots." It's a very disturbing indeed.

We've discussed the problems with the GOP and how they've sold their soul and subsequently alienated old school Republicans. Our observations were validated last night.

I'm very disappointed about prop 8 but am taking solace in 2 and 4 (and Z in Seal Beach). But in the day after, it's the fight for Washington that I was most concerned about. What do you bet poor 88-year-old John Paul Stevens announces his retirement on January 21?

12:27 PM  
Blogger Auburn Kat said...

Great post! I can't wait for things to start changing!

4:57 PM  
Blogger Ryan said...

"I sincerely hope the GOP reclaims its mantle of being in favor of limited government and fiscally conservative - I think those are valid positions that need to be considered for our country to thrive. I hope the GOP disclaims the part of the party running on hate and fear."

Diane, I have to totally agree with you on your last statement. I believe that the election of Obama had more to do with the repudiation of the current administration than any thing else. I was able to write in Ron Paul as my choice for President. I felt extremely positive even though I knew that he did not have a chance in hell.

I am so PISSED with Californians and their pinheadedness for passing PROP 8.

8:58 PM  
Blogger LA said...

I am so PISSED with Californians and their pinheadedness for passing PROP 8.

That makes two of us, Ryan. There were huge protests/marches last night in West Hollywood and SFO, and there is going to be a protest outside of the Mormon temple in L.A. today at 2:00 p.m. (The Mormons being the primary backers of Prop H8.)

9:41 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

I'm still speechless but a warming calmness has enveloped me and it's a wonderful feeling.

Hope is on the way.

10:09 AM  
Blogger D.O.M. Dan said...

What a well written post. Great picture too. As I write this on Saturday evening, there is a beautiful sunset here in the L.A. basin - brilliant orange skies. I hope it's as beautiful along the ocean as it is inland. Thanks for dropping by my blog and leaving comments on my last 3 posts.

5:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home