Wednesday, April 22, 2009



My favorite rose bush has its first bloom. The scent is lovely.

Yesterday I got a telephone call from a lady who used three names and was calling on behalf of Alzheimer's Research. After I quickly informed her that while I support their work, I never give money in response to telephone solicitations, my standard and accurate line, she GLEEFULLY informed me she was not calling to ask for money. She was calling to ask if I would send out pre-written letters to friends and family asking THEM to donate money.

I don't mind fundraising. In my most successful effort, I raised $2,600 for breast cancer research. The difference is that I was asking people for money while I was walking 60 miles to earn their support. On what basis would I be asking friends and family to donate money to Alzheimer's Research? Because I'm special? Because Ms. Three Names wants someone else to do her job for her?

This reminds me of the letter I've received the last few years around the holidays from a woman I went to school with, with whom I had a falling out 20 years ago, with whom I have not spoken in 20 years, soliciting donations for a law school scholarship - in her name. Why would I give her money, so that she can make some semi-magnanimous gesture and pretend that she is generous?

Or the time I received an invitation to a bridal shower being (allegedly) thrown by the bride's mom and sister, only to learn that I and the other bridesmaids were expected to supply the food. (We did bring food, but also smuggled in bottles of champagne, which got mom in trouble with the senior center where the shower was held).

Ok, so basically I'm in a bad mood this week because while I thought I had paid my property taxes a day early, I had actually paid them 4 days late, and now owe a $341 late fee. Maybe I should be soliciting donations to pay for that.

5 Comments:

Blogger sage said...

wow, that's a hefty 4 day overdue fine! I agree, I don't give to those who call me on the phone and probably would have hung up before her second name was out!

3:18 PM  
Blogger Tiffany Norris said...

Money...grr. Maybe they'll waive the late fee if you ask nicely?

6:39 AM  
Blogger sage said...

I seem to remember that your birthday is sometime soon... May your day be joyous.

4:18 AM  
Blogger Chris Wilson said...

They should be thanking you that you paid them!

8:22 AM  
Blogger Auburn Kat said...

I would be irritated over that late fee too!

5:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home